Authors & Affiliations
Kagramanian V.S., Kriachko M.V.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power, Obninsk, Russia
In case of nuclear energy system with uranium fuelled light water reactors modeling is sufficient to use one of the indicators for fuel balance: natural uranium consumption or enriched uranium consumption. In case of system with uranium-plutonium fast reactors modeling two approaches are used: balance of whole plutonium mass or fissile plutonium mass, and detailed calculation of isotopic composition on every modeling step. Evaluation of plutonium balance using mass or fissile mass indicator does not allow to take into account different fissile or fertile characteristics of the plutonium isotopes. Detailed calculation allows to take into account plutonium isotopic composition evolution, but requires more computational costs for modeling. Multi-isotopic plutonium equivalenting technique for fast reactor is considered in this paper. For every isotope considered value ratios were calculated based on its contribution to energy production in fast reactor. The reactor fuel indicators evaluation for the different isotopic composition of plutonium in MOX fuel technique is presented. The method of simplified calculation of the isotopic composition of discharged fuel by burnout matrix is presented. For plutonium isotopes considered breeding value ratios were calculated. Plutonium breeding and reactivity change due to burn-up for different isotopic compositions evaluation techniques are presented.
plutonium, fast reactor, fuel balance, breeding indicators, burnout matrix
1. Modelling Nuclear Energy Systems with MESSAGE – A User’s Guide (Draft). Vienna, Austria, October 2009.
2. Nuclear Fuel Cycle Simulation System (VISTA). IAEA-TECDOC-1535. Vienna, Austria, February 2007.
3. Guidance for the Applicationof an Assessment Methodologyfor Innovative Nuclear Energy Systems. IAEA-TECDOC-1575. Vienna, Austria, November 2008.
4. Dekusar V.M., Kagramanjan V.S., Kalashnikov A.G., Klinov D.A., Korobejnikov V.V., Korobicyn V.E. Razrabotka matematicheskoj modeli toplivnogo cikla atomnoj jenergetiki, sostojashhej iz teplovyh i bystryh reaktorov [Development of mathematical models of nuclear power fuel cycle consisting of thermal and fast reactors]. Izvestija vuzov. Atomnaja jenergetika – Proceedings of the universities. Nuclear power, 2010. No. 4. PP. 119-132.
5. Artem'ev N.I., Dekusar V.M., Kalashnikov A.G., Moseev A.L. RZA – kompleks programm mnogogruppovogo rascheta dvumernogo reaktora v oblastjah zamedlenija i termalizacii nejtronov s uchetom vygoranija [RZA – a set of programs for calculating the two-dimensional multigroup reactor in the fields of slowing down and thermalization of neutrons based on burnout]. Preprint FJeI 1679 – Preprint IPPE 1679. Obninsk, 1985.
6. E.M. Jacenko, A.N. Chebeskov, V.S. Kagramanjan, A.G. Kalashnikov. Metodika jekvivalentirovanija plutonija razlichnogo izotopnogo sostava primenitel'no k sistemnym issledovanijam v atomnoj jenergetike [Methods equivalenting various plutonium isotope composition in relation to system research in nuclear energy]. Izvestija vysshih uchebnyh zavedenij. Jadernaja jenergetika. – Proceedings of the universities. Nuclear energy 2012. No. 1. PP. 31-41.
7. Usynin G.B., Kusmarcev E.V. Reaktory na bystryh nejtronah [Fast reactors]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat, 1985, 200 p.