Authors & Affiliations
Martynov P.N., Askhadullin R.Sh., Papovyants A.K., Voronin I.A.,
Yagodkin I.V., Melnikov V.P.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power, Obninsk, Russia
Lead and lead-bismuth eutectic alloy as coolants of promising nuclear power plants present the low concentration fine suspensions containing different suspended solid particles (oxides of lead, bismuth, iron, chromium, manganese, oil pyrolysis products, etc.). Properties and behavior of these impurities influence on the coolant heat exchange and hydrodynamics in different parts of the circuit resulting in even critical situations connected with slag blockade and suspension separation on heat exchanging surface.
To prevent these situations the coolant and circuit complete purification is proposed by the application of filtration to remove “non-regenerated” impurities in addition to hydrogen regeneration (removal of “regenerated” impurities). It has been shown that suspended particles of micron and submicron dimensions contribute decisively to slag-making. Volume type filtering materials are the most suitable for capturing of these impurities.
In connection with this a wide range of filtering materials was analyzed and tested – fiberglass and carbon fiber, basalt fabric, needled fabric made of metal fiber, Al2O3 aluminum oxide grains, Ti, etc. Multi-layer silica texture fiberglass MKTT-2.2A (4-5 mm thickness, 6 mm fiber diameter) and needled fabric made of metal fiber (2-6 mm thickness, 40 µm fiber diameter) are appeared to have the best set of parameters including adhesive behavior, impurity removal efficiency, hydraulic resistance, thermal stability, chemical resistance. Filter models for promising nuclear power plants have been developed on the basis of filtering materials chosen.
filter, cleaning coolant, lead-bismuth, polonium, heavy liquid metal coolant
1. Martynov P.N., Orlov Yu.I., Efanov A.D., Troyаnov V.M., Rusanov A.E., Lavrova O.V., Papovyants A.K. Technology of lead-bismuth coolants for Nuclear Reactors. Removal of solid impurities from coolant by filtering, Obninsk, Russia, 2001.
2. Martynov P.N., Orlov Yu.I., Yagodkin I.V., Papovyants A.K., Melnikov V.P. Research of filtration of lead and lead-bismuth heavy coolants. Proc. of International Conference “Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technologies”, Obninsk, Russia, 2003.
3. Papovyants A.K., Orlov Yu.I., Martynov P.N., Boltoev Yu.D. Hydrodynamics of heavy liquid-metal coolant processes and filtering apparatus. Proc. of the 11th International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics (NURETH-11), France, October 2-6, 2005.
4. Feuerstein H., Oschinski J. and Horn S. Behavior of Po-210 in molten Pb-17Li. Journal of Nuclear Materials. North-Holland. 1992, PP. 191-194.
5. Tupper R.B., Minuskin В., Peters F.E., Kardos Z.L. Polonium Hazards associated with Lead-Bismuth used as a Reactor Coolant. Proc. of International Conference on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles Current Status and Innovations Leading to Promising Plants (October 28 – November 1, 1991. Kyoto, Japan). Proceeding. V. IV.
6. Ermolaev N., Bugreev M., Yefimov E., el al, Methods of removal and containment of raioactive polonium from lead-bismuth coolant, Proc. of International Conference “Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technologies (HLMC-98)”, Obninsk, Oct. 5-9, 1998, vol. 1, pp.194-200.
7. Abakumov А.S., Ershova Z.V., Vapor tension of polonium and lead polonide, Radiochemistry, 1974, 16(3), pp. 397-401.
8. Toru Obara, Takeru Koga, Terumitsu Miura, Hiroshi Sekimoto. Polonium evaporation and adhesion experiments for the development of polonium filter in lead-bismuth cooled reactors. Progress in Nuclear Energy, 2008, v. 50, no. 2, pp. 556-559.
9. Jacopo Buongiorno, Eric P. Loewen, Kenneth Czerwinski, Christopher Larson. Studies of Polonium Removal from Molten Lead-Bismuth for Lead-Alloy-Cooled Reactor Applications. Nuclear Technology. 2004, Vol. 147, pp. 406-417.
10. Buongiorno J. and а. Nucl. Studies of polonium removal from molten lead-bismuth for lead-alloy cooled reactor applications. Technol., 2004, 147, pp. 406-417.
11. Herold С., Winkler R., Langecker K. Kernenergie 15, 5 (1972) p. 152.
12. Papovyants A.K., Martynov P.N., Orlov Yu.I., Boltoev Yu.D. Analysis of deposit generation mechanism in filtering material and development of filters for purification of lead-bismuth eutectic alloy from impurities. Proc. of International Conference “Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technologies (HLMC-98)”, 1998, p.20.