Authors & Affiliations
Pesetti A.2, Del Nevo A.1, Forgione N.2, Agostini P.1
1Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development, Brasimone, Italy
2University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
The purposes of studies on heavy liquid metal (HLM)/water interaction are: 1) extrapolation to full scale nuclear plant conditions, and 2) supporting the development of computer codes of interest. Tests were carried out in LIFUS5/Mod2 facility, which was re-constructed on the basis of the operating experience of LIFUS5 and the support of SIMMER-III, -IV and RELAP5 codes. The paper presents LIFUS5/Mod2 facility, the experimental campaign, the tests analyses, and the data interpretation.
heavy liquid metal/water interaction, safety, experimental studies, LIFUS5/Mod2 facility, tests analysis
1. Thermal-Hydraulics of Innovative Nuclear Systems (THINS), Annex I – Description of Work. 7th FP of Euratom for Nuclear Research and Training Activities (2007-2011). Grant agreement no.249337, 2009.
2. Cinotti L. et al. The potential of LFR and ELSY Project. Proc. of International Congress on Advances in Nuclear Power Plants. Nice, 2007.
3. Bernardi D., Ciampichetti A., Forgione N. Test parameters definition for SGTR experiments. Technical Report – Doc 57, Task 6.3 of ELSY Project, 2010.
4. Ciampichetti A. et al. Report on the results for the interaction of lead alloy with other coolant, EUROTRANS DEMETRA ET-S-R-006 Rev.0, April 2010.
5. Kondo S. et al. SIMMER III: a computer program for LMFR core disruptive accident analysis. O-arai Engineering Center, Japan Nuclear Cycle Development Institute, Research Document JNC TN 9400 2003-071, 2003.
6. The RELAP5-3D© Code Development Team, RELAP5-3D© Code Manual. INEEL-EXT-98-0083, Rev. 1.2 May 2000.
7. Ciampichetti A. et al. Water large leaks into liquid Pb-17Li: first experimental results on LIFUS 5 facility. Fusion Engineering and Design, 2003, vol.69, pp.563-567.
8. Ciampichetti A. et al. LBE-water interaction in sub-critical reactors: first experimental and modelling results. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2008, vol. 376, pp.418-423.
9. Ciampichetti A. et al. Experimental and computational investigation of LBE–water interaction in LIFUS 5 facility. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 2009, vol. 239, pp.2468-2478.
10. Del Nevo A., Ciampichetti A. et al. Intermediate report on the water injection system, test matrix and test section design for HLM/water interaction experimental investigation in the LIFUS 5 facility. EC FP7 THINS Project, Task 4.1.2, ET-S-R-007 Rev. 0, 31 March 2011.
11. Forgione N. et al. Caratterizzazione sperimentale dell’interazione metallo liquido pesante – acqua e qualifica rottura generatore di vapore LFR. ENEA Technical report NNFISS – LP3 – 031, AdP 2009-2011, Sept. 2011.
12. Idelchik E. Handbook of Hydraulic Resistance, 3rd Edition, Begell House, 1996.
13. Del Nevo et. al. LIFUS5/MOD2 FACILITY – TEST A1.2 EDTAR, FP7 EC THINS - Task 4.1.2, ENEA Technical report L5-T-R-039 Rev. 0, 26 July 2013.
14. Del Nevo et. al. LIFUS5/MOD2 FACILITY – TEST A1.4 EDTAR, FP7 EC THINS - Task 4.1.2, ENEA Technical report L5-T-R-044 Rev. 0, 10 August 2013.
15. Del Nevo et. al. LIFUS5/MOD2 FACILITY – TEST A1.2_1 EDTAR, FP7 EC THINS – Task 4.1.2, ENEA Technical report L5-T-R-045 Rev. 0, 26 August 2013.