Authors & Affiliations
Lee S.G., Cho J., Shin Y.-H., Hwang I.S.
Seoul National University, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Corrosion studies of T91, HT9 and 316L steels were performed at 600°C for 1000 and 2000 hours in the static lead-bismuth eutectic (LBE). Oxygen concentration in LBE was controlled by flowing H2/H2O gas mixture. After 1000 hours, oxide layers were formed on the surface of all three materials, however they were dissolved significantly after 2000 hours. Transition from passivity to the dissolution was caused by the oxide layer spalling followed by the failure of repassivation.
lead-bismuth eutectic, structural steels, corrosion studies, oxygen concentration control, protective oxide layer, spalling
1. Gromov B.F. Use of lead-bismuth coolant in nuclear reactors and accerlerator-driven systmes. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 1997, vol.173, no.1-3, pp.207-217. doi:10.1016/S0029-5493(97)00110-6
2. Allen T.R., Crawfor D.C. Lead-cooled fast reacor systms and the fuels and materials challenges. Science and technology of nuclear installations, 2007, pp.1-11.
3. Ning Li. Lead-alloy coolant technology and materials. Progress in Nuclear Energy, 2008, vol.50, no.2-6, pp.140-151. doi:10.1016/j.pnucene.2007.10.016
4. Kazimi M., Moniz E.J., Forsberg C.W., Ansolabehere S., Deutch J.M., Driscoll M.J., Golay M.W., Kadak A.C., Parsons J.E., Regalbuto M., Apostolakis G., Hejzlar P., Shwageraus E. The future of the nuclear fuel cycle. Cambridge, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Publ., 2011.
5. Deign J. Nuclear fuel cycles: to close or not to close. Nuclear Energy Insider.(2012) Available at: http://analysis.nuclearenergyinsider.com/operations-maintenance/nuclear-fuel-cycles-close-or-notclose (accessed 2012).
6. Schuurmans P., Baeten P., Abderrahim H.A. MYRRHA an International Large Research Infrastructure and a unique worldwide Irradiation Facility and P&T tool, in, 2012.
7. Danilenko K. SVBR-100 project: status and plans. Proc. RF-ROK Workshop on LFR Technology. Seoul, 2010.
8. Nam H.O., Lim J., Han D.Y., Hwang I.S. Dissolved oxygen control and monitoring implementation in the liquid lead-bismuth eutectic loop: HELIOS, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2008, vol.376, no.3, pp.381-385. doi:10.1016/j.jnucmat.2008.02.038
9. Weisenburger A. Corrosion in HLM systems. Proc. Int. Workshop on Innovative Nuclear Reactors Cooled by Heavy Liquid Metals: Status and Perspectives. Pisa, 2012.