Authors & Affiliations
Fray E.S.1, Burgos J.1, Short M.P.1, Ballinger R.G.1, Caro M.2, Maloy S.2
1Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA
2Los Alamos National Laboratory, Materials Science & Technology Division, Los Alamos, USA
A new functionally graded composite (FGC) was developed to resist corrosion in lead-bismuth eutectic (LBE) systems. This FGC consists of a Fe-12Cr-2Si corrosion resistant layer combined with a structural material: T91. Based on the results of studies carried out in static LBE at up to 715°C, corrosion rates are estimated below 5µm/yr at typical reactor operating conditions. The FGC has shown to be diffusionally stable and manufacturable. These results provide a path for FGC availability for use in LBE systems.
nuclear reactors, lead-bismuth eutectic, steel corrosion, functionally graded composite, diffusional stability, manufacturability
1. Moisseytsev A.V., Matonis D.T. Integrated heat balance of STAR-H@ system for hydrogen production. Proc. Second Information Exchange Meeting "Nuclear Production of Hydrogen", Argonne, 2003.
2. Short M.P., Ballinger R.G., Hanninen H.E. Corrosion Resistance of Alloys F91 and Fe-12Cr-2Si in Lead-Bismuth Eutectic up to 715°C. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2013, vol.434, no.1-3, pp.259-281. doi:10.1016/j.jnucmat.2012.11.010
3. Short M.P. The Design of a Functionally Graded Composite for Service in High Temperature Lead and Lead-Bismuth Cooled Nuclear Reactors. Cambridge, MIT Publ., 2010.
4. Zhang J. A review of steel corrosion by liquid lead and lead–bismuth. Corrosion Science, 2009, vol. 51, no. 6, p. 1207-1227. doi:10.1016/j.corsci.2009.03.013
5. Garner F.A. Void swelling and irradiation creep of ferritic-martensitic alloys at very high dpa levels produced by either neutron or self-ion irradiation. Proc. American Nuclear Society Winter Meeting. Las Vegas, 2010.
6. Guntz G., Julien M., Kottmann G., Pellicani F., Pouilly A., Vaillant J.C. The T91 Book – Ferritic Tubes and Pipe for High Temperature use in Boilers. France, Vallourec Industries Publ., 1990.
7. Standard Specification for Seamless Ferritic Alloy-Steel Pipe for High-Temperature Service (ASTM A335/335M-11), ASTM International, 2012.
8. DuPont J.N., Regina J.R., Adams K. Improving the weldability of FeCrAl weld overlay coatings. Proc. 21st Annual Conference on Fossil Energy Materials 2007. Knoxville,2007.