Authors & Affiliations
Niyazov S.-A.S., Ivanov K.D., Lavrova O.V.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Ivanov K.D. – Leading Researcher, Doc. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Lavrova O.V. – Senior Researcher, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Mass transfer processes caused by interaction of heavy liquid metal coolants (HLMC) with structural steels are considered. These processes determine the ultimate lifetime of the steels in HLMC.
As applied to formation of protective anti-corrosion film on the surface of steels used in HLMC system, the general pattern of oxidation processes is proposed, and existing approaches to the description of steel oxidation kinetics are considered with focus on their drawbacks hindering analysis of criteria of the steel lifetime maximization under these conditions.
The processes taking place in the vicinity of steel matrix-oxide layer interface were studied, since principal effect on the steel oxidation nature was observed in this area.
Existing approaches to the description of oxidation processes caused by steel-HLMC interaction were considered. Their drawbacks are indicated that preclude from reliable forecasting oxidation process results in the long run.
It is shown that in order to have more appropriate description of the oxidation processes, some additional processes, having potential of strong effect on the steel oxidation kinetics, should be taken into account in the model under development.
Specific examples of such real processes related to the steel oxidation in HLMC are given, that would cause either spontaneous improvement of protective properties of the oxide films formed on the steel, or their deterioration.
liquid metal coolant, structural steel, oxidation, corrosion, oxide film, steel matrix, diffusion permeability, interface, exposition, pitting corrosion, liquid metals, lead, lead-bismuth, magnetite
1. Wagner C. Theoretical Analysis of the Diffusion Processes Determining the Oxidation Rate of Alloys. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 1952, vol.99, no.10, pp. 369-380. doi: 10.1149/1.2779605.
2. Efremov A.P. Khimicheskoe soprotivlenie materialov [Chemical resistance of materials]. Moscow, SUE “Oil and gas” Publ., 2004. pp. 27-32.
3. Handbook on Lead-bismuth Eutectic Alloy and Lead Properties, Materials Compatibility, Thermalhydraulics and Technologies. Issy-les-Moulineaux, Nuclear Energy Agency Publ., 2015. pp. 249-270.
4. Ivanov K.D., Lavrova O.V., Niyazov S.-A.S. Rezul'taty chislennykh otsenok poter' komponentov konstruktsionnykh staley v tyazhelykh teplonositelyakh [Results of numerical evaluations of structural steel elements losses in heavy coolants]. Trudy 4 konferentsii "Tyazhelye zhidkometallicheskie teplonositeli v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh (TZhMT-2013)" [Proc. 4th Conf. “Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technologies (HLMC-2013)”]. Obninsk, 2013, pp.82.
5. Tedmon C.S.Ju. The High-Temperature Oxidation of Fe-Cr Alloys in the Composition Range of 25–95 % Cr. Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 1967, vol. 114, no.8, pp.788-795. doi: 10.1149/1.2426737
6. Zhang J., Li N. Improved application of local models to steel corrosion in lead-bismuth loops. Nuclear Technology, 2003, vol.144, no.3, pp. 379 - 387.
7. Steiner H., Schroer C., Vob Z., Wedemeyer O., Konys J. Modeling of oxidation of structural materials in LBE systems. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2008, vol.374, pp. 211-219.
8. Zhang J., Li N. Oxidation Mechanism of Steels in Liquid-Lead Alloys. Oxidation of Metals, 2005, vol. 63, no.5, pp.353-381.
9. Moreau J. Journal Corrosion et Anticorrosion, 1954, vol.4, pp. 11.
10. Joung D. High Temperature Oxidation and Corrosion of Metals. Oxford, 2008.
11. Shumov Yu.V., Gorelov I.N., Fedorov Yu.A. Vliyanie temperatury na skorost' rosta oksidnoy plenki, obrazuyushcheysya pri okislenii ferritno-martensitnoy stali v potoke evtekticheskogo splava svinets-vismut [Temperature effect on the rate of growth of the oxide film caused by ferritic-martensitic steel oxidation in the lead-bismuth eutectic flow]. Nuclear Power, 2004, no.3, pp.130-140.
12. Barbier F., Rusanov A. Corrosion behavior of steels in flowins lead-bismuth. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2001, vol. 296, no.1-3, pp. 231-236. doi:10.1016/S0022-3115(01)00521-9
13. Rusanov A.E., Levin O.E., et al. Issledovanie korrozionnoy stoykosti obolochek TVELov iz stali EP-823 posle ispytaniy v potoke Pb-Bi [Studies on corrosion resistance of fuel element claddings made of EP 823 steel tested in Pb-Bi flow]. Trudy 4 konferentsii "Tyazhelye zhidkometallicheskie teplonositeli v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh (TZhMT-2013)" [Proc. 4th Conf. “Heavy Liquid Metal Coolants in Nuclear Technologies (HLMC-2013)”] Obninsk, 2013.
14. Yeliseyeva O., Tsisar V., Btnamati G. Influence of temperature on interaction mode of T91 and AISI316L steels with Pb-Bi melt saturated by oxygen. Corrosion Science, 2008, vol.50, no.8, pp. 1672-1683. doi:10.1016/j.corsci.2008.02.006
15. Shi Q., Liu J., Luan H. et.al. Oxidation behavior of ferritic/martensitic steels in stagnant liquid LBE saturated by oxygen at 600°C. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2015, vol. 457 pp.135-141. doi:10.1016/j.jnucmat.2014.11.018
16. Ivanov K.D., Lavrova O.V., Niyazov S.-A.S., Yudintsev P.A. Istochniki primesey v teplonositelyakh Pb i Pb-Bi [Sources of impurities in Pb and Pb-Bi coolants]. Trudy mezhotraslevogo seminara "Tyazhelye teplonositeli v bystrykh reaktorakh" [Proc. Inter-industry Seminar “Heavy Coolants in Fast Reactors”]. Obninsk, 2010.
17. Joung D. High Temperature Oxidation and Corrosion of Metals. Oxford, 2008.
18. Birks N., Meier H. Introduction to the High Temperature Oxidation of Metals. New York, Cambridge University Press, 2006.
19. Kashtanov A.D. Razrabotka i obosnovanie rekomendatsiy dlya vybora konstruktsionnykh staley teploobmennogo oborudovaniya reaktorov na bystrykh neytronakh s tyazhelymi teplonositelyami. Kand. dis. [Development and justification of recommendations on the choice of structural steels for heat exchangers of fast reactors with heavy coolants. Cand. Diss.]. St. Petersburg, 2010.