Authors & Affiliations
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Safe exploitation of reactor facility (RF) should provided by routine cladding failure detection (CDF). Optimal diagnostic medium for heavy liquid metal coolant (HLMC) RF routine cladding failure detection is primary covergas (argon) and reference group of isotopes–radioactive noble gases (RNG) that feature significant gamma radiation, these are fission products - Kr and Õå isotopes and an activation product of Ar-41 cover gas dissolved in the coolant. The method of routine monitoring is gamma spectrometry of the vapor and aerosol – free cover gas. For identification of diagnostic indicators and diagnostic algorithm development a model of RNG migration from the fuel grain to the gas system is needed. Model of RNG migration through the primary circuit is presented in this paper. The calculated value of RNG-activity in primary gas system that are result of the different events into primary circuit and the change of the cover gas gamma-radiation spectrum are showed.
reactor facility, heavy liquid metal coolant, cladding failure detection, cover gas, radioactive noble gases, gamma-spectrometry
1. Sivintzev Yu.V. Radiatsionnaya bezopasnost' na yadernykh reaktorakh [Nuclear facilities radiation safety]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1967. pp. 263-264.
2. Biblioteka yadernykh dannykh JAERJ-M90-099 [Nuclear date library JAERJ-M90-099]. pp.482-483.
3. Gonchar N.I. Sposob kontrolya germetichnosti teploobmennoy poverkhnosti parogeneratora reaktornoy ustanovki s tyazhelym zhidkometallicheskim teplonositelem [Method of tightness control of steam generator heat exchanger surface of nuclear facility cooled by heavy liquid metal]. Patent RF, no. 2547447, 2015.
4. Faber T.E. Gidrodinamika [Hydrodinamics]. Moscow, Postmarket Publ., 2001. pp. 57, 211, 216.
5. Grigor'eva I.S., Meylikhova E.Z. Fizicheskie velichiny. Spravochnik [Physical values. Handbook]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1991, p.376.
6. Lastman B. Radiatsionnye yavleniya v dvuokisi urana [Radiation phenomenon into uranium dioxide]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1964.
7. Feng Bo, Karahan Aydin, Kazimi Mujid S. Steady-State Nitride Fuel Behavior Modeling with FRAPCON-EP and its Application to PWRs. Proc. ICAPP-2011. Nice, 2011, pp.11340.
8. Briesmeister Ed. MCNP4B – A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport code: Los Alamos National Laboratory report, 1997, LA-12625-M.
9. Hendricks J.S., Frankle S.C., Court J.D. ENDF/B-VI Data for MCNP TM: Los Alamos National Laboratory report, 1994. LA-12891.