Authors & Affiliations
Kascheev M.V., Sorokin A.P.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Sorokin A.P. – Deputy Director of Department, Dr. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
A mathematical model has been developed for the first time for numerical analysis of severe off-design accidents in sodium cooled fast reactors. Unlike the presently existing models, the developed model enables one to answer the question of the possibility of containment of molten fuel in the reactor vessel.
The computational domain under consideration is multiply connected. The mathematical simulation of sub-domains as porous bodies is performed using the laws of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, written in the form of equations of continuity, motion, and energy in two-dimensional cylindrical coordinates. The problem of formation of heat-generated layer on the lower end shield has been solved. The zones of heat-generated layer were simulated. There was obtained solution of the problem on the movement of variable mass vapor bubble in liquid. The results have been used to describe the heat sources originated due to vapor condensation above heat-generated layer.
The developed mathematical model is implemented in the form of BRUT computer code. Verification of the code’s individual blocks has revealed an adequate agreement of the calculation results and available experimental data as well as analytical solutions. Using BRUT code there was performed calculation analysis of UTOP accident at BN-type high-power reactor with nitride fuel and MOX-fuel. In all versions melt was contained in the reactor vessel.
To effectuate fast evaluations of parameters and, foremost, time of melt-through of designs there was developed mathematical model in which the task is solved in one-dimensional approach. By the BRUT-O code, developed on the basis of one-dimensional mathematical model, calculation of accident wherein occurs complete melting of fuel subassemblies in the center of the reactor core and partial melting of peripheral fuel subassemblies is carried out. It is shown that time for melt contact with the pressure-header upper plate calculated by the BRUT-O code is less than the similar time obtained by the BRUT code to 10%.
fast reactor, mathematical model, vessel of reactor, heat-generated layer, molten fuel, heat sinks, severe accident, computational domain, melt front, vapor bubble, vapor condensation
1. Kashheev M.V., Kuznecov I.A. Matematicheskoe modelirovanie uderzhaniya rasplavlennogo topliva v korpuse bystrogo reaktora pri tyazheloy avarii. Matematicheskaya model' [Mathematical modeling of retention of melted fuel in the case of fast reactors under severe accident. Mathematical model]. Teplofizika vysokikh temperatur - High Temperature, 2009, no. 4, pp. 627-632.
2. Kashheev M.V., Ashurko Yu.M. Issledovanije vozmozhnosti uderzhanija rasplavlennogo topliva v bystrom reaktore pri tyazheloy avarii [Research of the possibility of molten fuel containment in fast reactor at severe accident]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika - Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power, 2014, no. 1, pp. 88-98.
3. Subbotin V.I., et al. Reshenie zadach reaktornoy teplofiziki na EVM [Solving problems reactor Thermo-physics on a computer]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1979.
4. Gorbis Z.R. Teploobmen i gidromehanika dispersnykh skvoznykh potokov [Heat Transfer and Fluid Me-chanics dispersed through streams]. Moscow, Energiya Publ., 1970.
5. Kashheev M.V. Modelirovanie stratifikacii komponent koriuma pri tyazheloy avarii [Simulation component corium stratification in severe accidents]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika - Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power, 2002, no. 3, pp. 3-13.
6. Lykov A.V. Teoriya teploprovodnosti [The theory of thermal conductivity]. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola Publ., 1967, 600 p.
7. Kashheev M.V. Dvizhenie parovogo puzyrya peremennoy massy v zhidkosti [The movement of a steam bubble in the liquid of variable weight]. Preprint FEI-3246 - Preprint IPPE-3246. Obninsk, 2014.
8. Fihtengol'c G.M. Kurs differencial'nogo i integral'nogo ischisleniya [Course of differential and integral calculus]. Moscow, Science Publ., 1969, 800 p.
9. Labuncov D.A., Jagov V.V. Mehanika dvuhfaznyh sistem: Uchebnoe posobie dlja vuzov [Mechanics of two-phase systems: Textbook for high schools]. Moscow, MPEI Publ., 2000, 374 p.
10. Artem'ev V.K. Variant neyavnogo metoda dlya resheniya sistemy uravneniy Nav'e-Stoksa v estestvennykh peremennykh [Option implicit method for solving the Navier-Stokes equations in primitive variables]. Preprint FEI-1962 - Preprint IPPE-1962. Obninsk, 1989.
11. Kashheev M.V., Kuznecov I.A. Matematicheskoe modelirovanie uderzhaniya rasplavlennogo topliva v korpuse bystrogo reaktora pri tyazhelykh avarii. Rezul'taty rascheta po programme BRUT [Mathematical modeling of retention of melted fuel in the case of fast reactors under severe accident. The calculation results of the program BRUT]. Teplofizika vysokikh temperatur - High Temperature, 2009, no. 5, pp. 765-770.
12. Kymalainen O. et. al. Heat Flux Distribution from a Volumetrically Heated Pool with High Rayleigh Number. Proc. 6th Int. Topical Meeting on Reactor Thermal-Hydraulics. Grenoble, 1993, pp. 47-53.
13. Lipinski R.J., Gronager J.E., Schwarz M. Particle bed heat removal with subcooled sodium: D-4 results and analysis. Nuclear Technology, 1982, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 369-378.
14. Florschuetz L.W., Henry C.L., Khan A. Rashid. Growth rates of free vapor bubbles in liquids at uniform superheats under normal and zero gravity conditions. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 1969, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 1465-1489.
15. Kashheev M.V. Reshenie zadachi teploprovodnosti dlya kol'cevogo cilindra konechnykh razmerov s vnutrennimi istochnikami tepla [Solution of the problem of thermal conductivity for the annular cylinder of finite size with internal heat sources]. Teploenergetika - Thermal Engineering, 2011, no. 2, pp. 71-73.
16. Kashheev M.V. Pyat' testovykh zadach [Five test problems]. Preprint FEI-3150 - Preprint IPPE-3150. Obninsk, 2009.
17. Ashurko Yu.M., Kashheev M.V., Sorokin A.P. Issledovanija tjazhelyh avarij v bystryh reaktorah s natrievym teplonocitelem [Research of severe accidents at sodium cooled fast reactors]. Preprint FEI-3273 - Preprint IPPE-3273. Obninsk, 2017.
18. Samarskii A.A., Vabishhevich P.N. Vychislitel'naya teploperedacha [Computational Heat Transfer]. Moscow, Editorial URSS Publ., 2001.