Authors & Affiliations
Levchenko Yu.D., Delnov V.N.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Delnov V.N. – Head of Intellectual Property Department, Dr. Sci. (Tech.), Associate Professor, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
The article describes the method for selection of fast reactor fuel assembly (FA) throttle design that consists of two or more throttling washers in the central tube or in the inner shell wall of the bottom nozzle. The washers are arranged with an equal pitch relevant to the preset hydraulic resistance of the throttling device. The main physical point is based on a well-known fact that hydraulic losses in two or more washers located with a zero clear distance between them differ insignificantly from the losses of one washer and constantly grow with an increase in the distance between the neighboring washers. The constant and maximum values of hydraulic losses are observed at the gap value equal to approximately 10 heights of washer lips. The applicability of this method in the design calculations was verified in the analysis of throttling devices in fast neutron reactor FA bottom nozzles. The analysis was performed with the use of a universal dependence of the mutual effect of a few washers placed in series in the flow part of the bottom nozzle. For all the options of the bottom nozzle design the coolant rates did not exceed 15 m/s.
nuclear reactor, core; fuel assembly, bottom nozzle, flow throttling, throttling washers, hydraulic calculation, hydraulic resistance (drag) coefficient, methods and examples of calculation
1. Kirillov P.L., Zhukov A.V., Loginov N.I., Makhin V.M., Pioro I.L., Yur'ev Yu.S. Spravochnik po teplogidravlicheskim raschetam v yadernoy energetike. Tom 2. Yadernye reaktory, teploobmenniki, parogeneratory [Handbook of thermohydraulic calculations in nuclear power. Volume 2. Nuclear reactors, heat exchangers, steam generators]. Moscow, IzdAt Publ., 2013. 688 p.
2. Efanov A.D., Levchenko Yu.D., Fedotovskiy V.S., Shchukin N.M. Gidravlicheskie poteri na uchastke vzaimnogo vliyaniya mestnykh soprotivleniy [Hydraulic losses in the area of mutual influence of local resistances]. Teploenergetika - Thermal Engineering, 1997, no. 3, pp. 8-13.
3. Idel'chik I.E. Spravochnik po gidravlicheskim soprotivleniyam [Handbook on hydraulic resistance]. Moscow, M?shinostro?ni? Publ., 1975. 559 p.
4. Boronin A.A., Efanov A.D., Levchenko Yu.D., Fedotovskiy V.S. Gidravlicheskie poteri v truboprovodakh pri vzaimnom vliyanii mestnykh gidravlicheskikh soprotivleniy. Podkhod k obobshcheniyu eksperimental'nykh rezul'tatov [Hydraulic losses in pipelines with mutual influence of local hydraulic resistances. An approach to generalization of experimental results]. Trudy otraslevoy konferentsii "Teplofizika-99" [Proc. Conf. "Thermophysics-99"]. Obninsk, 1999, pp. 31-34.
5. Zhukova A.V., Sorokina A.P. Metodicheskie ukazaniya i rekomendatsii po teplogidravlicheskomu raschetu aktivnykh zon bystrykh reaktorov, RTM 1604.008-88 [Methodical instructions and recommendations for thermal-hydraulic calculation of active zones of fast reactors, RTM 1604.008-88]. Obninsk, IPPE Publ., 1988. 435 p.
6. Kirillov P.L. Spravochnik po teplogidravlicheskim raschetam v yadernoy energetike. Tom 3. Teplogidravlicheskie protsessy pri perekhodnykh i nestandartnykh rezhimakh. Tyazhelye avarii. Zashchitnaya obolochka. Kody, ikh vozmozhnosti i neopredelennosti [Handbook of thermohydraulic calculations in nuclear power. Volume 3. Thermohydraulic processes in transient and non-standard modes. Heavy accidents. Protective shell. Codes, their capabilities and uncertainties]. Moscow, Izdat Publ., 2014. 688 p.
7. Levchenko Yu.D., Del'nov V.N. Drosselirovanie potoka teplonositelya v teplovydelyayushchikh sborkakh yadernykh reaktorov tipa BN [Throttling of the coolant flow in the fuel assemblies of nuclear reactors of the BN type]. Trudy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii "Teplofizika reaktorov novogo pokoleniya (Teplofizika-2016)" [Proc. Sci. and Tech. Conf. "Thermal physics of new generation reactors (Thermophysics-2016)"]. Obninsk, 2017, pp. 223-231.