Authors & Affiliations
Rozikhin E.V., Yakunin A.A., Koscheev V.N., Peregudov A.A.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Yakunin A.A. – Researcher, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Koscheev V.N. – Leading Research, Cand. Sci. (Phis.-Math.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Peregudov A.A. – Senior Research, Cand. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Cross verification of software tools is one of the main methods for calculational uncertainty assessment of physical functionals in the field of calculations of neutron-physical parameters of reactor facilities. For example, in the International Handbook of Evaluated Criticality Safety Benchmark Experiments (ICSBEP Handbook), the authors of the evaluation usually provide the results of benchmark model calculations for various systems of constants and calculational codes.
For software users, the MCNP code, which utilize continuous-energy cross sections, is the benchmark for obtaining reliable calculation results. Therefore the MCNP code is usually used for verification of the developing evaluated nuclear data libraries. Traditionally, nuclear data for MCNP in the ACE format are prepared using the processing code NJOY. Recently, other programs have appeared that have the option of providing nuclear data in the ACE format.
Recently in this field of activity the "old/new" SCALE code system, intended for criticality safety licensing of nuclear facilities, was appeared. "Old", because there is an extensive experience with the use of various group libraries of nuclear data. "New", because in the latest version of the complex it is possible to calculate physical characteristics using continuous energy cross sections. The nuclear data for the SCALE6 code system is prepared with the AMPX-6 processing code, whose capabilities are significantly extended in comparison with the previous version. The format of representation of continuous energy nuclear data is the original development of AMPX-6 and does not coincide with the widely known ACE format.
Results of usage of the SCALE6.2 code system are presented below. Experience on development of nuclear data libraries based on the ENDF/B-VII.1 and ROSFOND-2010 libraries is outlined.
Results of cross-verification of the code systems MCNP5 and SCALE 6.2 on a specialized set of benchmarks from the ICSBEP international handbook are presented. The peculiarity of the selected models is that they have been used for many years to verify the ABBN constant system, first as models from the ENDF202 collection, and then from the ICSBEP international handbook. All the models are characteristic for reactor assemblies with a fast and intermediate neutron spectrum.
cross-verification of software tools, MCNP code, SCALE code system, NJOY processing code, AMPX processing code, ENDF/B-VII.1 nuclear data library, ROSFOND-2010 nuclear data library, International Handbook of Evaluated Criticality Safety Benchmark Experiments
1. International Handbook of Evaluated Criticality Safety Benchmark Experiments, NEA/NSC/DOC(95)/03. Paris, 2016.
2. Brown F.B., Booth T.E. et al. MCNP – A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code. Version 5, Overview and Theory, Volume I, LA-UR-03-1987. Los Alamos, LANL Publ., 2003.
3. MacFarlane R.E., Muir D.W., Boicourt R.M., Kahler A.C. The NJOY Nuclear Data Processing System, Version 2012, LA-UR-12-27079. Los Alamos, LANL Publ., 2015.
4. Rearden B.T.et al. Enhancements in Continuous-Energy Monte Carlo Capabilities for SCALE 6.2. Proc. of PHYSOR 2014 – The Role of Reactor Physics Towards a Sustainable Future. Kyoto, Japan, 2014.
5. Wiarda D. et al. AMPX-6: A Modular Code System for Processing ENSF/B, ORNL/TM-2016/43, 2016.
6. Chadwick M., et al. ENDF/B-VII.1 Nuclear Data for Science and Technology: Cross Sections, Covariances, Fission Product Yields and Decay Data. Nuclear Data Sheets, 2011, vol. 112, no. 12, pp. 2887-2996.
7. Zabrodskaya S.V., Ignatyuk A.V., Koshcheev V.N., Manochin V.N., Nikolaev M.N., Pronyaev V.G. ROSFOND – Rossiyskaya Natsional'naya Biblioteka Otsenennykh Neytronnykh Dannykh [RUSFOND – Russian National Library Of Evaluated Neutron Data]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornye konstanty - Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear and Reactor Constans, 2007, no. 1-2, pp. 3-21.
8. Manturov G.N., Nikolaev M.N., Tsibulya A.M. Sistema gruppovykh konstant BNAB-93. Chast' 1: Yadernye konstanty dlya rascheta neytronnykh i fotonnykh poley izlucheniy [BNAB-93 group data library. Part 1: nuclear data for the calculation of neutron and photon radiation fields]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Yadernye konstanty - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Nuclear Constants, 1996, no. 1, pp. 59-98.
9. Alter H., et al. Cross Section Evaluation Working Group Benchmark Specifications, (ENDF-202) BNL-19302. Brookhaven, Brookhaven National Laboratory Publ., 1974.
10. Rearden B.T., Jessee M.A. SCALE Code System, ORNL/TM-2005/39, Version 6.2.2. Oak Ridge, Tennessee, Oak Ridge National Laboratory Publ., 2017.
11. Blyskavka A.A., Manturov G.N., Nikolaev M.N., Tsibulya A.M. Programmnyy kompleks CONSYST/MMK dlya rascheta yadernykh reaktorov metodom Monte-Karlo v mnogogruppovom priblizhenii s indikatrisami rasseyaniya v Rn – priblizhenii [The CONSYST/MMK program complex for the calculation of nuclear reactors by the Monte Carlo method in the multigroup approximation with scattering indicatrices in the Pn approximation]. Preprint FEI-2887 - Preprint IPPE-2887. Obninsk, 2001.
12. Koshcheev V.N., Manturov G.N., Nikolaev M.N., Tsibulya A.M. Biblioteka gruppovykh konstant BNAB-RF dlya raschetov reaktorov i zashchity [Libraries of group constants BNAB-RF for reactor calculations and protection]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika - Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power Engineering, 2014, no. 3, pp. 93-101.