Authors & Affiliations
Baranaev Yu.D., Glebov A.P.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Baranaev Yu.D. – Head of Laboratory, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Results of investigations of issues of reiiable and economically viable municipal district heating based on small pool-tipe reactor RUTA (heating reactor with atmocperic primary coolant pressure) are presented.
Conceptual design of RUTA are available for 10 to 70 MW reactor thermal capasity. Desctiption of basic design features of reactors are presented in the paper as well as their neutronic and technical characteristics. Prospects and benefits of applicotion of RUTA reactors in district heat supply sistems and possibility of broaden of area of their usefull utilization:
• as an energy source for nuclear desalination,
• as a neutron source for:
- medical and industrial radioisotop production,
- medical neutron therapy beams,
- irradiation of polymeric films.
Nessesary first step for implementation of any new nuclear technology is to be construction and operation of a first-of-a-kind unit. Erection of this unit for RUTA reactor is sujested to implement at IPPE-site in Obninsk where it could be done in shorter term and with minimal constructiom expenditures.
In 2004 several organizations of ROSATOM (AEP, ENTEK and IPPE) were developed "Feasibility study of demonstration project of District Heating Plant RUTA 70 MWth at the IPPE-site". Key results of the Feasubility Study related to the project design and economics are presented in the paper.
small pool-tipe reactor, municipal district heating, neutron source, demonstration project, Feasubility Study
1. Baranaev Yu.D., Osennikh G.M., Sergeev Yu.A., Mikhan V.I., Romenkov A.A. Project of demonstration nuclear heating plant using pool-type water reactor. Proc. Tech. meetings "Nuclear heat applications: Design aspects and operating experience". Vienna, 1998.
2. Baranaev Yu.D. et al. O vozmozhnosti sooruzheniya demonstratsionnoy AST s reaktorom RUTA-55 na promploshchadke FEI i vklyucheniya ee v sushchestvuyushchuyu sistemu teplosnabzheniya [On the possibility of constructing a demonstration AST with the RUTA-55 reactor at the site of the IPPE and including it in the existing heat supply system]. Obninsk, IPPE Publ., 1996. 203 p.
3. Aygozhiev K.K., Baranaev Yu.D., Glebov A.P. Proekt basseynovogo reaktora RUTA dlya teplosnabzheniya i ispol'zovaniya v kachestve istochnika neytronov [The project of the RTA basin reactor for heat supply and use as a source of neutrons]. Trudy konferentsii "Issledovatel'skie reaktory: nauka i vysokie tekhnologii" [Proc. Conf. "Research Reactors: Science and High Technologies"]. Dimitrovgrad, 2001.
4. Bondarenko A.V. et al. Kontseptsiya ekonomichnogo i bezopasnogo reaktora maloy moshchnosti dlya neytronnoy terapii [The concept of an economical and safe low-power reactor for neutron therapy]. Preprint FEI 2449 - Preprint IPPE 2449. Obninsk, 1995.
5. Mardynsky Y.S., Sysoev A.S., Andreyev V.G., Gulidov I.A. Vorläufige Ergebnisse der Klinishen Anwerdung von Schnellenn Neutronen eines Reactors bei der Strahlen und Kombinationstherapie von Patienten mit Kehlkoptkarzionom. Strahlentherapie und Onkologie, 1991, no. 3, pp. 169-172.
6. Neuman Y.S., Jones J.L. Conceptual Design of a Medical Capture Therapy. Nuclear Technology, 1990, vol. 92, no. 1.
7. Wambersie A., Menzel H.G. Present status, trends and needs in fast neutron therapy. Bull. Cancer Radiother., 1996, vol. 83, no. 1, pp. 68-77.
8. Tsyb A.F., Ul'yanenko S.E., Mardynskiy Yu.S. Neytrony v lechenii zlokachestvennykh novoobrazovaniy [Neutrons in the treatment of malignant neoplasms]. Obninsk, RAMS MRRC Publ., 2003.
9. Briesmeister J.F. MCNP - A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code Version 4A. Los Alamos National Laboratory. Report LA-12625-M, (1993).