Authors & Affiliations
Kruglov A.B., Kruglov V.B., Kharitonov V.S., Struchalin P.G.
”National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”, Moscow, Russia
Kruglov V.B. – Associate professor, Cand. Sci. (Tech.), ”National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”.
Kharitonov V.S. – Deputy head of department of thermal physics, Cand. Sci. (Tech.), ”National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”.
Struchalin P.G. – Engeneer, ”National Research Nuclear University “MEPhI”.
The paper presents the results of creating a non-destructive method for measuring the thermal conductivity of fuel and thermal resistance between fuel and fuel cladding with dense nuclear fuel. The technique is based on a comparison of the characteristic times of the calculated and experimental thermograms of the surface of a portion of a fuel cladding formed during its heating and cooling caused by the action of a laser pulse. The technique is aimed at possible use under protective chamber conditions and is non-destructive.
With the help of the developed technique and a specially created laboratory setup, test measurements of the thermal conductivity of cylindrical samples were carried out, which showed satis-factory agreement of their results with literature data. Measurements of thermal conductivity of fuel simulators and thermal resistance between simulators and the shell were carried out in specially created models of fuel elements. The results of these measurements also demonstrated the coincidence with the calculated estimates and literature data within the limits of error, as well as the overall performance of the method.
non-destructive measurements, pulse method, dense fuel, thermal conductivity, thermal resistance, thermal conductivity measurement technique, thermal resistance measurement technique, thermophysical properties
1. Korsun A.S., Kiselev N.P., Korsun A.V. et al.Issledovanie nestacionarnyh processov tepleprovodnosi v dvuhsloynyh sistemah pri impulsnom teplovydelenii. Aktual’nye problem fiziki yadernyh i termoyadernyh reaktorov [Investigation of non-stationary processes of thermal conductivity in two-layer systems with pulsed heat release. Actual problems in the physics of nuclear and thermonuclear reactors]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1991. Pp. 53-74.
2. Leshenko A.Yu., Kuzmin I.V. Opredelenie teplofizicheskih harakteristik otrabotavshyh tvelov VVER-1000 metodom radialnogo nagreva [Determination of thermophysical characteristics of spent fuel elements VVER-1000 by radial heating method]. Trudy GNTS RF NIIAR - Works SSC RF RIAR, 2006, no. 1, pp. 33–44.
3. Ivanov Yu.S., Ilin M.А., Korostin О.S. et al. Avtomatizirovannaya sistema izmereniya kontaktnogo termicheskogo soprotivleniya tvelov bystryh reaktorov. Teplofizika yaderno-energeticheskih ustanovok [Automated system for measuring the contact thermal resistance of fuel elements of fast reactors. Thermophysics of nuclear power plants]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ, 1986. Pp. 36-40.
4. Tablicy standartnyh spravochnyh dannyh. Stal’ nerzhavejushaya marki 12H18N10T. Teploprovodnost’ pri temperaturah 340-1100 К [Tables of standard reference data. Stainless steel grade 12H18N10T. Thermal conductivity at temperatures of 340-1100 K]. Moscow, Izdatelstvo standartov Publ., 1994.
5. Kirillov P.L. Spravocnik po teplogidravlicheskim raschetam v yadernoy energetike. Tom 1. Teplogidravlicheskie process v YaEU [Handbook on thermohydraulic calculations in nuclear power. Volume 1. Thermalhydraulic processes in nuclear power plants]. Moscow, IzdAt Publ., 2010. 776 p.