Authors & Affiliations
Alekseev V.V., Konovalov M.A., Sorokin A.P., Torbenkova I.Yu.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Konovalov M.A. – Thermal engineer 2 categories, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Sorokin A.P. – Chief Scientist, Dr. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Torbenkova I.Yu. – Deputy Head of the Laboratory, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
In the primary circuits of the currently developed plants with sodium coolant, the main source of pol-lution is oxygen, purification systems are located in reactor vessel, temperature parameters 550°C and above. In these conditions, it is suggested to use hot traps to increase the capacity of the primary circuit cleaning systems. In this paper the methods for determining the characteristics of hot traps operating in the following modes are considered: for sodium purification at nominal parameters; for sodium purification in stop modes with sodium heating at the trap entrance; for sodium purification in modes of transition from stop mode to nominal parameters. It is shown that a hot trap designed for operation in all modes (special attention is paid to stop modes) will require large energy costs for heating sodium during the power set and reaching nominal parameters after accidental contamination. This complicates the design of the trap and it arrangement will become impossible in the reactor vessel. Consequently, the use of heating does not solve the problems of purification duration at the transition from stop mode to nominal parameters and transition to nominal parameters after abnormal contamination. Preliminary assessments of the optimization of the hot traps operation modes which allow the transition from the stop mode with high oxygen content (25 ppm) to the nominal mode without additional heating have been carried out. The "high-speed cleaning" mode proposed by the authors will allow to shorten the cleaning time in comparison with the standard cleaning mode from ~940 h to ~160 h when power is increased after commissioning works, and from ~630 h to ~250 h when the power is increased after abnormal contamination.
hot traps, purification systems, sources of impurities, sodium oxide, reactor power, capacity, "high-speed cleaning", nominal mode, stop mode
1. Rachkov V.I., Poplavskij V.M., Cibulya A.M., Bagdasarov Yu.E., Vasilev B.A., Kamanin Yu.L., Osipov S.L., Kuzavkov N.G., Ershov V.N., Ashirmetov M.R. Koncepciya perspektivnogo energobloka s bystrym natrievym reaktorom BN-1200 [The concept of a promising power unit with a fast sodium BN-1200 reactor]. Atomnaya energiya - Atomic Energy, 2010, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 201–206.
2. Kozlov F.A., Alekseev V.V., Kovalev Yu.P., Kumaev V.Ya., Matyuhin V.V., Orlova E.A., Pirogov E.P., Sorokin A.P., Sherbakov S.I. Issledovaniya v obosnovanie sistemy ochistki natriya dlya bystryh reaktorov [Research to justify the sodium purification system for fast reactors]. Atomnaya energiya - Atomic Energy, 2012, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 18–24.
3. Pupko V.Ya. Istoriya rabot po letatelnym apparatam na yadernoj energii dlya kosmicheskih i aviacionnyh ustanovok v GNC RF-FEI [The history of work on aircraft on nuclear energy for space and aviation installations in SSC RF-FEI]. Obninsk, IPPE Publ., 2002.
4. Kozlov F.A., Kuznecov E.K. Ochistka natriya ot kisloroda s pomoshyu goryachih lovushek [Purification of sodium from oxygen using hot traps]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1967.
5. Hinze R.B. Control of oxygen concentration in a large sodium system. USAEC Report NAA-SR-3638, Atomics International. Canoga Park, California, 1959.
6. LA-4114-MS Quarterly status report on the advanced plutonium fuels program, 1968. Available at: http://lib-www.lanl.gov/la-pubs/00378258.pdf (accessed 14.06.2018).
7. LA-4193-MS Quarterly status report on the advanced plutonium fuels program, 1969. Available at: http://lib-www.lanl.gov/la-pubs/00368829.pdf (accessed 14.06.2018).
8. LA-4307-MS Advanced plutonium fuels program: quarterly progress report, 1969. Available at: http://lib-www.lanl.gov/la-pubs/00377672.pdf (accessed 14.06.2018).
9. Papovyanc A.K., Ashadullin R.Sh., Yagodkin I.V., Alekseev V.V., Bogdanovich N.G., Skomoro-hova S.N., Voronin I.A. Stendovye ispytaniya novyh sorbcionno-filtruyushih i getternyh materialov dlya ochistki natrievogo teplonositelya [Bench tests of new sorption-filtering and getter materials for the purification of sodium coolant]. Trudy nauch.-techn. konf. “Teplofizika-2013” [Proc. sci. tech. conf. "Thermophysics 2013"]. Obninsk, 2014, pp. 421–428.
10. Kozlov F.A., Konovalov M.A., Sorokin A.P. Ochistka getterami zhidkometallicheskih sistem s natrievym teplonositelem ot kisloroda [Cleaning getter liquid metal systems with sodium coolant from oxygen]. Teploenergetika - Thermal Engineering, 2016, no. 5, pp. 1–7.
11. Voronin I.A., Papovyanc A.K., Skomorohova S.N., Poplavskij D.A. Rezultaty ispytanij granulirovannogo vysokotemperaturnogo getternogo materiala dlya ochistki natriya ot rastvorennogo kisloroda [The test results of granulated high-temperature getter material for the purification of sodium from dissolved oxygen]. Trudy nauch.-tehn. konf. “Teplofizika-2014” [Proc. sci. tech. conf. "Thermophysics-2014"]. Obninsk, 2015.
12. Alekseev V.V., Kovalyov Yu.P., Kalyakin S.G., Kozlov F.A., Kumaev V.Ya., Kondratev A.S., Matyuhin V.V., Pirogov E.P., Sergeev G.P., Sorokin A.P., Torbenkova I.Yu. Sistemy ochistki natrievogo teplonositelya AES s reaktorom BN-1200 [Purification systems for sodium coolant of nuclear power plants with a BN-1200 reactor]. Teploenergetika - Thermal Engineering, 2013, no. 5, pp. 9–20.