Authors & Affiliations
Voronin I.A., Melnikov V.P., Yagodkin I.V., Posazhennikov A.M., Legkikh A.Yu., Nikolaev A.N.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Melnikov V.P. – Deputy General Director – Director of OFHT, Cand. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Yagodkin I.V. – Leading Researcher, Cand. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Posazhennikov A.M. – Head of laboratory, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Legkikh A.Yu. – Senior Researcher, Cand. Sci. (Tech.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Nikolaev A.N. – Head of laboratory, Cand. Sci. (Chem.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
For the processing of radioactive waste is possible to use a variety of methods. One of the promising methods is the processing of metal radioactive waste (MRW) using smelting units. The article shows the possibility of using a eutectic lead-bismuth alloy for cooling the melting unit. Estimates show that when the body of the melting unit is cooled by a lead-bismuth eutectic, it is possible in principle to maintain the temperatures of the steel surfaces, not exceeding the allowable values. To solve this problem, a schematic diagram of an experimental setup for testing the MRW decontamination processes was developed, using lead-bismuth eutectic for cooling the hull. Gas purification systems at industrial enterprises are considered and on the basis of their analysis, as well as taking into account the specifics of the work, a gas purification system has been developed, which includes several elements: a precipitator, dilution sites, filters of preliminary and highly efficient cleaning. Tested experimental setup. A decontamination factor was obtained, which is more than three times the design value.
For preparing this paper we used the results that had been obtained the course of implementation of the project of the Russian Ministry of Education and Science – “Development of a technology of utilization of metal radioactive waste on the basis of melting units with liquid-metal heat removal”. The unique identifier of PNIER (Applied Research and Experimental Developments) is RFMEFI62614X0002.
lead-bismuth, recycling, metal radioactive waste, gas cleaning, melting unit, aerosols, precipitator, aerosol filter
1. Skomorokhova S.N., Nikolaev A.N., Askhadullin R.S.H., Trifanova E.M., Sitnikov I.V. The Immobilization Of The Ash Residue Produced As A Result Of Processing Radioactive Ion-Exchange Resins In A Lead Melt. Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences, 2016, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 1063–1069.
2. Kryukov O.V., Abramov A.A., Lebedev V.V. et al. Problemy yadernogo naslediya i puti ikh resheniya. Razvitie sistemy obrashcheniya s radioaktivnymi otkhodami v Rossii. Tom 2 [Problems of nuclear heritage and ways of their solution. The development of the system of radioactive waste management in Russia. Vol. 2]. Moscow, OAO “ENERGOPROMANALITIKA” Publ., 2013, 392 p.
3. Skachok M.A. Obrashchenie s otrabotavshim yadernym toplivom i radioaktivnymi otkhodami AES [Jump in the treatment of spent nuclear fuel and nuclear waste]. Moscow, MEI Publ., 2007. 448 p.
4. Cheremisin P.I. Obrashchenie s metallicheskimi otkhodami, zagryaznennymi radioaktivnymi veshchestvami [Treatment of metal waste contaminated with radioactive substances]. Retsikling otkhodov - Waste Recycling, 2008, no. 2 (14), pp. 2–5.
5. Obrashchenie s radioaktivnymi otkhodami pered ikh zakhoroneniem, vklyuchaya snyatie s ekspluatatsii. Trebovaniya NWS-R-2 [Management of radioactive waste before disposal, including decommissioning. NWS-R-2 requirements]. IAEA safety standards series. Vienna, IAEA Publ., 2003. Pp. 14–15.
6. Gudim Yu.A., Golubev A.A., Tregubov I.O. Pirometallurgicheskaya pererabotka metallicheskikh radioaktivnykh otkhodov nizkoy i sredney stepeni zagryaznennosti i plavil'nyy agregat dlya ee osushchestvleniya [Pyrometallurgical processing of metal radioactive waste of low and medium degree of pollution and the melting unit for its implementation]. Trudy konferentsii “Yarmarka innovatsionnykh proektov v oblasti obrashcheniya s RAO, vyvoda iz ekspluatatsii i ekologicheskoy reabilitatsii. Atomeko-2008” [Proc. Conf. “Fair of innovative projects in the field of radioactive waste management, decommis-sioning and environmental rehabilitation. Atomeco-2008”]. Moscow, 2008, pp. 25–27.
7. Golubev A.A., Gudim Yu.A. Sposob pererabotki metallicheskikh radioaktivnykh otkhodov i agregat dlya ego osushchestvleniya [A method of processing metal radioactive waste and Assembly for its implementation]. Patent RF, no. 2345141, 2009.
8. Legkikh A.Yu., Askhadullin R.Sh., Martynov P.N., Melnikov V.P., Storozhenko A.N. Kontseptual'nye aspekty okhlazhdeniya korpusa plavil'nogo agregata tyazhelym zhidkometallicheskim teplonositelem [Conceptual aspects of cooling the body of the melting unit with heavy liquid-metal coolant]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika - Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power Engineering, 2016, no. 2, pp. 143–153.
9. Vasilenko V.A. Obrashchenie s radioaktivnymi otkhodami v Rossii i stranakh s razvitoy atomnoy energetikoy [Radioactive waste management in Russia and countries with developed nuclear energy]. St. Petersburg, OOO "NITs "Morintekh" Publ., 2005. 304 p.
10. Simon A.D. Dezaktivatsiya [Decontamination]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1975.
11. Voronin L.M., Volkov A.P., Sedov V.K. et al. Radiatsionnaya bezopasnost' seriynykh AES s VVER-440 [Radiation safety of serial nuclear power plants with VVER-440]. Atomnaya energiya - Atomic Energy, 1981, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 99–102.
12. Birger M.I., Valdberg A.J., Myagkov B.I. et al. Spravochnik po pyle- i zoloulavlivaniyu [Handbook for dust to ash removal]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1983.
13. Pirumov A.I. Obespylivanie vozdukha [Air Dedusting]. Moscow, Stroyizdat Publ., 1974.
14. Yagodkin I.V., Martynov P.N., Melnikov V.P., Posazhennikov M.A., Papuans A.K., Osipov V.P., Grishin A.G. Sostoyanie razrabotok sovremennogo fil'tratsionnogo oborudovaniya dlya novykh proektov AES s VVER [The status of the development of modern filtration equipment for new projects of NPP with WWER]. Tyazheloe mashinostroenie – Heavy Engineering, 2010, n. 2, pp. 5–8.
15. Rezyume Soglasheniya 14.626.21.0002 [Summary of the Agreement 14.626.21.0002]. Available at: https://www.ippe.ru/images/resume-fcp/recycling-metal-radioactive-waste-technology.pdf С.3 (accessed 17.12.2018).