Authors & Affiliations
Solomatin A.E.1, Orlova E.A.2, Sorokin A.P.1, Zasorin I.I.1, Zagrebaev S.A.1, Orlov A.V.2, Belozerov V.I.2
1 A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
2 National Research Nuclear University of MEPhI, Obninsk, Russia
Orlova E.A. – Leading Researcher, Cand. Sci. (Techn.), Associate Professor, National Research Nuclear University of MEPhI.
Sorokin A.P. – Chief Researcher, Academician of Engineering Academy, Dr. Sci. (Techn.), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Zasorin I.I. – Leading Enginear, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Zagrebaev S.A. – Researcher, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Orlov A.V. – Leading Specialist, Cand. Sci. (Phis.-Maht.), Associate Professor, National Research Nuclear University of MEPhI.
Belozerov V.I. – Leading Specialist, Cand. Sci. (Techn.), Associate Professor, National Research Nuclear University of MEPhI.
Work is devoted to a research of materials (zirconium and nickel) for hydrogen separation by its production with use of nuclear reactor in relation to the high-temperature fast sodium reactor (BN-VT) developed in IPPE, for production of hydrogen from hydrocarbon raw materials. These materials can be used in relation to the thermal reactor of the operating nuclear power plants or the reactor of new generation of VTGR, the electrolysis of water offered for receiving hydrogen in Research Center KI. Hydrogen on the NPP is formed also at reaction of water with structural materials, at water leak emergencies in sodium and steam – Zr reaction, at nuclear reactions, etc.
In the real work results of LAES of the analysis of zirconium and nickel after their interaction with sodium and impurity in it are presented at 1053 K during 100 h in the sodium purified from oxygen to the level which is not exceeding 2 mg/kg and containing 6 mg/kg of hydrogen. Interaction of zirconium and nickel with sodium and impurity in it is revealed (hydrogen, oxygen, carbon). The maximum quantity of carbon, oxygen, nitrogen in zirconium is concentrated in a small layer of a sample by thickness near 10 microns. Hydrogen is concentrated probably near borders of grains, oxygen content in zirconium significantly exceeded oxygen content in initial zirconium that will be coordinated with results of thermodynamic calculations. It is shown that for increase in purity of hydrogen and durability of service of the device it is necessary to have zirconium as well as a nickel membrane in a gas phase.
hydrogen power, nuclear reactors, hydrogen separator, nickel, zirconium, sodium, water
1. Kozlov F.A., Sorokin A.P., Alekseev V.V., Konovalov M.A. Tekhnologiya natrievogo teplonositelya VT YAEHU dlya vodorodnoj ehnergetiki [Technology of sodium coolant BT NPI for hydrogen energy]. Obninsk, IPPE Publ., 2013. Pp. 191–203.
2. Ponomarev-Stepnoj N.N. Vodorodnyj renessans [Hydrogen renaissance]. Strana ROSATOM - Country ROSATOM, 2018, no. 8 (328), pp. 12—13.
3. Orlova E.A., Sorokin A.P., Solomatin A.E., Zasorin I.I., Zagrebaev S.A, Orlov A.V., Belozerov V.I. Povyshenie vodorodnoj bezopasnosti AEHS ispol'zovaniem cirkonievogo poglotitelya [Increase the hydrogen safety of nuclear power plants using a zirconium absorber]. Obninsk, IPPE Publ., 2016. Pp. 197–202.
4. Orlova E.A., Sorokin A.P., Kryuchkov E.A., Fedosova M.A., Zagrebaev S.A. Separaciya vodoroda iz gazovoj fazy nad natriem [Separation of hydrogen from the gas phase over sodium]. Trudy nauchno-tekhnicheskoj konferencii “Teplofizika reaktorov na bystryh nejtronah (Teplofizika-2014)” [Proc. Sci. And Techn. Conf. "Thermophysics of Fast Neutron Reactors (Thermophysics 2014)"]. Obninsk, 2015, pp. 399–402.
5. Belozerov V.I., Demirdzhi M., Kolukysaoglu YA., Orlov A.V., Chusov I.A. Povyshenie vodorodnoj bezopasnosti AES VVER separaciej vodoroda cherez nikelevuyu membranu i pogloshcheniem cirkoniem [Increasing the hydrogen safety of VVER nuclear power plants by separating hydrogen through a nickel membrane and absorption of zirconium]. Trudy 5 Mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferencii (MNTK-2018) [Proc. 5th Int. Sci. and Techn. Conf. (MNTK-2018)]. Moscow, 2018, pp. 1347–1356.