Authors & Affiliations
Ivanov K.D., Niyazov S.-A.S., Gurbich A.F.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Ivanov K.D. – Leading Researcher, Dr. Sci. (Tech), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Gurbich A.F. – Leading Researcher, Dr. Sci. (Tech), A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
The paper presents the results of the study of the initial stage of oxidation of austenitic steel 12X18H10T in water vapor, which were obtained using a method of research of thin surface layers of steel, based on the analysis of nuclear reaction products in the interaction of oxygen with accelerated ion beams.
Austenitic 18 % chromium steel 12X18H10T is one of the structural steels used in reactor installations with heavy liquid metal coolant (HLMC) in the region is relatively high (T<350 °C) temperatures. In test benches and experimental installations the temperature area of use of this steel is much wider.
Studies of this steel, especially in the field of low temperatures or short time intervals of exposure of samples, where there are significant methodological difficulties, are of some scientific interest. In addition, the study of the oxidation of structural steels directly in gaseous media, including water vapor, are of great practical importance. It is because these modes of oxidation are used as special technological operations of formation of oxide films on the individual elements and the equipment of the first circuits of nuclear power plant (NPP) with HLMC on the basis of lead and its alloys.
heavy liquid metal coolant, austenitic steel, oxide film, corrosion, oxidation kinetics, polished steel surface, concentration, oxygen, accelerated ion beam, spectrometry
1. Yachmenev G.S., Rusanov A.E., Gromov B.F. Problemy korrozii konstruktsionnykh materialov v svintsovo-vismutovom teplonositele [Corrosion problems of structural materials in lead-bismuth coolant]. Trudy konferentsii “Tyazhelye zhidko-metallicheskie teplonositeli v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh” [Proc. Conf. "Heavy liquid metal coolants in nuclear technology"]. Obninsk, 1999, vol. 1, pp. 136.
2. Chen Y., Stubling J.F. Analysis of corrosion scale structure of pre-oxidized stainless steel 316 in molten lead-bismuth eutectic and the relation to impedance spectroscopy response. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2010, vol. 398, pp. 172–179.
3. Schroer C., Konys J. Long-term service of austenitic steel 1.4571 as a container material for flowing LBE. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2011, vol. 418, pp. 8–15.
4. Lim J. Design of alumina forming FeCrAl steels for LB cooled fast reactors. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2013, vol. 441, pp. 650–660.
5. Kurata Y. Corrosion behavior of cold-worked austenitic stainless steels in LBE. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2014, vol. 448, pp. 239–249.
6. Ray M., Martinelly L. Dissolution and oxidation behavior of austenitic and Ni rich alloys in LBE at 520°C. Journal of Nuclear Materials, 2016, vol. 468, pp. 153–163.
7. Ivanov K.D., Lavrova O.V., Niyazov S.-A.S. Vliyanie predvaritel'noy podgotovki poverkhnosti konstruktsionnykh staley na kinetiku ikh okisleniya v tyazhelykh teplonositelyakh [The effect of preliminary preparation of the surface of structural steels on the kinetics of their oxidation in heavy coolants]. Trudy chetvertoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferentsii “Tyazhelye zhidkometallicheskie teplonositeli v yadernykh tekhnologiyakh” (TZhMT–2013) [Proc. 4th Sci. Practical Conf. "Heavy liquid metal coolants in nuclear technology" (HLMC-2013)]. Obninsk, 2013, vol. 2, pp. 311.
8. Shelemet'ev V.M., Ivanov K.D., Niyazov S.-A.S. Ispol'zovanie gazovykh datchikov na osnove tverdoel-ektrolitnoy kislorodoprovodyashchey keramiki dlya kontrolya okisleniya konstruktsionnykh staley pri nizkom partsial'nom davlenii kisloroda [The use of gas sensors based on solid electrolyte oxygen-conducting ceramics for monitoring the oxidation of structural steels with low partial pressure of oxygen]. Trudy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii “Teplofizicheskie eksperimental'nye i raschetno-teoreticheskie issledovaniya v obosnovanie kharakteristik i bezopasnosti yadernykh reaktorov na bystrykh neytronakh” [Proc. Sci. and Tech. Conf. "Thermophysical experimental and theoretical and theoretical studies in support of the characteristics and safety of nuclear fast neutron reactors"]. Obninsk, 2012, pp. 154–155.
9. Gurbich A., Molodtsov S. Application of IBA techniques to silicon profiling in protective oxide films on a steel surface. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, 2004, vol. 226, no. 4, pp. 637–643.
10. Chu W.K., Mayer J.M., Nicolet M.A. Backscattering spectrometry. New-York, Acad. Press., 1978.
11. Martynov P.N., Askhadullin R.Sh., Ivanov K.D., Niyazov S.-A.S., Chernov M.E., Ulyanov V.V., Shelemetiev V.M., Sadovnichiy R.P., Cheporov R.Yu. Osobennosti ispol'zovaniya zhelezooksidnykh elektrodov sravneniya v tverdoelektrolitnykh datchikakh kontrolya termodinamicheskoy aktivnosti kisloroda [Features of the use of iron oxide reference electrodes in solid electrolyte sensors for monitoring the thermodynamic activity of oxygen]. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya energetika – Proseedings of Universities. Nuclear Power Engineering, 2012, no. 3, pp. 62–67.
12. Aleskovskiy V.B. Khimiya tverdykh veshchestv [Solid Chemistry]. Moscow, Vysshaya shkola Publ., 1978. 256 p.
13. Ivanov K.D., Lavrova O.V., Niyazov S.-A.S. Conditions for the improvement of protective properties of the oxide coatings formed on the steel in the liquid lead-bismuth and lead. Oriental Journal of Chemistry An International Open Free Access, Peer Reviewed Research Journal, 2015, vol. 31, pp. 71–78.