Authors & Affiliations
Semenova T.V.1, Mitenkova E.F.2, Solovyova E.V.2
1 Russian Federal Nuclear Center, All-Russian Research Institute of Experimental Physics, Sarov, Russia 2 Nuclear Safety Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Semenova T.V. – Head of Laboratory, Cand. Sci. (Phys.-Math.), Russian Federal Nuclear Center, All-Russian Research Institute of Experimental Physics.
Solovyova E.V. – Senior Researcher, Cand. Sci. (Phys.-Math), Nuclear Safety Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences.
In loosely coupled systems the criticality calculations using the traditional Monte Carlo power generation methods can lead to incorrect effective multiplication factor and neutron distribution functions, which is largely due to the steady-state neutron source in system. In reactor systems, the power generation method ensures the correct neutron source formation with a proper eigenfunction for any initial neutron distributions. A traditional power generation method does not guarantee the adequate source formation in loosely coupled systems even under very large calculation statistics. To count the neutron distribution functions in loosely coupled systems in TDMCC code is implemented algorithm based on fission matrix. Its capabilities are demonstrated to count the fission rate distributions in loosely coupled system such a slab with extended inhomogeneous fuel zones.
Monte Carlo calculations, loosely coupled system, fission matrix, fission rate
1. Blomquist R., Amirshaw M., Hanlon D. et al. Source Convergence in Criticality Safety Analysis, Phase I: Results of Four Test Problems. OECD NEA, 2006, no. 5431.
2. Mitenkova E.F., Koltashev D.A., Kizub P.A. Raspredelenie skorosti reaktsii deleniya v slabosvyazannoy sisteme dlya testovoy modeli “shakhmatnaya doska” [The distribution of the rate of fission reaction in a loosely coupled system for the test model "chessboard"]. Atomnaya energiya – Atomic Energy, 2014, vol. 116, no. 6, pp. 345–350.
3. Semenova T.V., Mitenkova E.F. Rasshirenie vozmozhnostey programmy TDMCC dlya issledovaniya bol'shikh i slabosvyazannykh system [Extending the capabilities of the TDMCC program for the study of large and loosely coupled systems]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornye konstanty – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear and Reactor Constans, 2015, no. 1, pp. 31–35.
4. Sutton T.M., Brown F.B. Analysis of the Monte Carlo Eigenvalue Bias. CIS-RPC-91-17, Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory, USA, 1991.
5. Smith N. et al. OECD/NEA Source convergence Benchmark 1: Checkerboard storage of assemblies. AEA Technology, UK, 2002.
6. Kizub P.A., Mitenkova E.F. Istochnik neytronov deleniya v raschetakh metodom Monte-Karlo dlya slabosvyazannykh system [Source of fission neutrons in Monte-Carlo calculations for weakly coupled systems]. Preprint IBRAE IBRAE-2015-02 – Preprint IBRAE IBRAE-2015-02. Moscow, 2015.
7. Mitenkova E.F., Semenova T.V. Ispol'zovanie programmy TDMCC dlya resheniya zadach s dominantnym otnosheniem, blizkim k edinitse [Using the TDMCC program for solving problems with a dominant ratio close to one]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Matematicheskoe modelirovanie fizicheskikh protsessov – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Mathematical Modeling of Physical Processes, 2015, no. 4, pp. 3–14.
8. Kizub P.A., Mitenkova E.F. Osobennosti raspredeleniya istochnika deleniya slabosvyazannoy sistemy “tvel” v Monte-Karlo raschetakh [Features of the distribution of the source of division of a loosely coupled TVEL system in Monte Carlo calculations]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornye konstanty – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear and Reactor Constans, 2017, no. 1, pp. 56–63.
9. Programma: TDMCC (Time-Dependent Monte Carlo Code) [Program: TDMCC (Time-Dependent Monte Carlo Code)]. Certificate no. 2010614412, 2010.
10. Morton K.W. Criticality Calculations by Monte Carlo Methods. United Kingdom Atomic Energy Research Establishment, Harwell, Report T/R-1903, 1956.
11. Brown F.B., Carney S.E., Kiedrowski B.C., Martin W.R. Fission Matrix Capability for MCNP, Part I-Theory. Proc. M&C 2013. Sun Valley, Idaho, 2013, pp. 2828–2839.