Authors & Affiliations
Kurina I.S., Riaby V.M., Frolova M.Y., Plaxin O.A., Dvoryashin A.M.
A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
Riaby V.M. – Head of laboratory, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Frolova M.Y. – Engineer of 1 category, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Plaxin O.A. – Head of Department, Dr. Sci. (Phys.-Math.), Associate Professor, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Dvoryashin A.M. – Head of the Group, A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering.
Currently, there is an increased interest in the development of uranium-zirconium metal fuel. Abroad, rods for fuel elements are manufactured by induction melting followed by injection casting. The casting of fuel rods is carried out in quartz test tubes with an inner coating of yttrium oxide. In the JSC “SSC RF — IPPE”, work was carried out on the manufacture and research of some basic properties of fuel slugs of the U-10%Zr alloy. Fuel slugs were made by melting of uranium and zirconium in an arc furnace, subsequent melting of ingots in quartz test tubes in a vacuum furnace and turning to the desired size on a lathe. Obtained slugs of U-10%Zr had a density of 16.35 g/cm3, lamellar structure consisting of the phases α-U and δ-UZr2. The results of studies on the interaction of fuel with materials of test tubes and crucibles have shown that yttrium oxide is the most suitable material for melting crucibles or coatings. It is also possible to use ZrO2-Y2O3, followed by grinding the fuel rods.
metal fuel, U-10%Zr alloy, technology, casting, quartz test tubes, crucibles, density, microstructure
1. Experiences and Trends of Manufacturing Technology of Advanced Nuclear Fuels. IAEA-TECDOC-1686. Vienna, IAEA, 2012. 113 p.
2. Walter A., Reynolds A. Fast neutron breeder reactors. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1986. 624 p.
3. Stevenson C.E. The EBR-II Fuel cycle story. Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 1987, vol. 55, pp. 256.
4. Smotrytsky G.S., Chebotarev N.T., Kutaytsev V.I. et al. Multicomponent alloys based on U-Pu as nuclear fuel for fast reactors. Proc. of Symposium on the use of Plutonium as a reactor fuel, held by the IAEA in Brussels. Vienna, 1967. Pp. 165–175.
5. Leggett R.D., Walters L.C. Status of LMR fuel development in the United States of America. Journal Nuclear Materials, 1993, vol. 204, pp. 23–32.
6. Chang Y. Technical rationale for metal fuels in fast reactors. Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 2007, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 161–170.
7. Lee C.B., Lee B.O., Kim K.H., Kim S.H. Status of SFR Metal Fuel Development. Proc. Int. Conf. on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles: Safe Technologies and Sustainable Scenarios (FR13). Paris, 2013.
8. Saify M.T., Jha S.K., Abdulla K.K., Arun Kumar, Prasad G.J. Fabrication of Metallic Fuel Slugs for Irradiation Experiments in Fast Breeder Test Reactor. Proc. Int. Conf. on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles: Safe Technologies and Sustainable Scenarios (FR13). Paris, 2013.
9. Lee B.O., Cheon J.S., Kim J.H., Ahn S.B., Yoo B.O., Kim H.M., Ryu W.S., Lee C.B. Irradiation of SFR metal fuel in HANARO and the results of post irradiation examination SFR Fuel Development. Proc. Int. Conf. on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles: Safe Technologies and Sustainable Scenarios (FR13). Paris, 2013.
10. Banerjee, Joydipta; Kaity, Santu; Ravi, K.; Nair, M.R.; Saify, M.T.; Keswani, Rajeev; Kumar, Arun; Prasad, G.J. Out-of-pile thermophysical properties of metallic fuel for fast reactors in India. Proc. Int. Conf. on Fast Reactors and Related Fuel Cycles: Safe Technologies and Sustainable Scenarios (FR13). Paris, 2013.
11. Kim K.-H., Woo Y.-M., Oh S.-J., Lee C.-B. Fabrication of SFR Fuel Rodlets for irradiation test in the HANARO. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Composite Materials, 2011. Available at: https://www.iccm-central.org/Proceedings/ICCM18proceedings/iccm.htm (accessed 28.05.2019).
12. Song H., Kim J.-H., Kim K.-H., Lee. C.-B. Casting evaluation of U-Zr alloy system fuel slug for SFR prepared by injection casting method. Proc. of GLOBAL 2013: International Nuclear Fuel Cycle Conference - Nuclear Energy at a Crossroads. Salt Lake City, 2013, pp. 310–314.
13. Kim J.-H., Lee J.W., Park J.-Y. Preparation of metallic fuel rodlets for irradiation testing in the HANARO research reactor. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 2018, vol. 315, pp. 137–143.
14. Tokiwai M., Kondo A., Yuda R., Tsukino N., Yoshie S., Izaki M., Izumiya T., Furuya T. Development of Fabrication Technology of Metallic Fuel by Injection Casting. Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, 2002, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 910–913.
15. GOST 2409-80 (ST SEV 980-78). Materialy i izdeliya ogneupornye. Metod opredeleniya vodopogloshcheniya, kazhushcheysya plotnosti, otkrytoy i obshchey poristosti [Refractory materials and products. Method for determination of water absorption, apparent density, open and total porosity]. Moscow, Izdatelstvo standartov Publ., 1980.
16. Basak C.B., Prasad G.J., Kamath H.S., Prabhu N. An evaluation of the properties of As-cast U-rich U-Zr alloys. Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 2009, vol. 480, pp.857–862.
17. Harbur et al. Crucible coating for preparation of U and Pu alloys containing Zr or Hf. Patent US, no. 660075, 1972.
18. Kim J.H., Kim H.T., Woo Y.-M., Kim K.-H., Lee C.-B., Fielding R.S. Interaction studies of ceramic vacuum plasma spraying for the melting crucible materials. Nuclear Engineering and Technology, 2013, vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 683–688.