Authors & Affiliations
Volkov Yu.N., Kruglikov A.E., Shcherbakov A.A.
National Research Nuclear University MEPhI, Moscow, Russia
Volkov Yu.N. – Senior Teacher, Cand. Sci. (Techn.), National Research Nuclear University MEPhI.
Kruglikov A.E. – Engineer, graduate student, National Research Nuclear University MEPhI.
Hydrogen energetics is an alternative energy industry based on the use of hydrogen as a means of accumulating, transporting and consuming energy. Of the innovative nuclear energy sources proposed by the INPRO or G-4 programs, only reactors with a helium coolant are capable of providing a sufficient heat supply temperature to the hydrogen production units. Reactors of this type based on microfuel have fundamental safety advantages associated with the absence of core melting in case of accidents with loss of coolant. This article presents an overview of the technology of using high-temperature gas-cooled reactors and its features. The results of a computational analysis of an energy complex with a nuclear power plant of the HTGR type with a thermal power of 600 MW and energy conversion modules with gas turbine or steam turbine and thermochemical production of hydrogen by steam reforming of methane or high-temperature electrolysis is considered in the article. The fuel of the nuclear reactor under consideration consists of mixed oxides of plutonium and thorium. The calculation method involves the use of a one-dimensional GETERA code for calculating the diffusion coefficients and group cross-sections and the COMSOL Multiphysics software package for calculating the neutron-physical characteristics in the three-group diffusion approximation by the finite element method and comparison with the results obtained by the Monte Carlo method using MCU precision program.
HTGR, hydrogen energy, thorium-plutonium cycle, diffusion approximation
1. Grebennik V.N., Kukharkin N.E., Ponomarev-Stepnoj N.N. Vysokotemperaturnye gazoohlazhdaemye reaktory [High-temperature gas-cooled reactors]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 2008. 134 p.
2. Ponomarev-Stepnoj N.N., Stolyarovsky A.Ya., Pakhomov V.P. Atomno-vodorodnaya ehnergetika [Atomic-hydrogen energetics]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 2008. 108 p.
3. Pryanichnikov A.V. Opisanie programmy GETERA [Description of the program GETERA]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov - Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2009, no. 3, pp. 63–77.
4. Krasnikov G.E., Nagornov O.V., Starostin N.V. Modelirovanie fizicheskih processov s ispol'zovaniem paketa Comsol Multiphysics [Modeling of physical processes using Comsol Multiphysics package]. Moscow, MEPhI Publ., 2012. 184 p.
5. Eliseev V.G. Avtomatizaciya proektirovaniya v programmnom komplekse T-Flex [Computeraided design software package T-Flex]. Moscow, MEPhI Publ., 2010. 148 p.
6. Gurevich M.I., Shkarovsky D.A. Raschet perenosa nejtronov Metodom Monte-Karlo po programme MCU [The neutron transport method according to the program of Monte-Сarlo MCU]. Moscow, MEPhI Publ., 2012. 153 p.