Authors & Affiliations
Chernukhin Yu.I., Kostenko I.I., Sokolov Yu.A.
Russian Federal Nuclear Center — Zababakhin All-Russia Research Institute of Technical Physics, Snezhinsk, Russia
Chernukhin Yu.I. – Senior Researcher, Dr. Sci. (Phys. and Math.).
Kostenko I.I. – Head of Group.
The paper describes the calculation-and-experimental method used to measure σO, σC cross-sections of 16O(p, α)13N and 12C(p, γ)13N, 13C(p, n)13N reactions when these cross-sections were averaged over the spectrum of recoil protons in hydrogen-containing media. Measurements were performed with the help of the ∼14 MeV neutron source. As a result, cross-sections were determined to be σO=17,2 Mbarn, σC =2,59 Mbarn and this fairly well agrees with the sufficiently limited data available on the energy dependence of cross-sections from the above reactions in the proton energy region Е≤10 MeV. Cross-sections of 16O(p, α)13N and 12C(p, γ)13N, 13C(p, n)13N reactions in the region of small and medium proton energies E≤10 MeV are of interest for the fundamental science when studying the CNO – cycle of hydrogen burning in rather large stars and also for applied sciences when it is necessary to solve certain problems like (i) considering "false" nitrogen formation when protein content is determined in grain crops using the neutron activation analysis and the 14 MeV neutron source; (ii) studying applicability of 16O(p, α)13N and 12C(p, γ)13N, 13C(p, n)13N reactions to produce the shortlived β+-radioactive isotope 13N directly in water and alcohol solutions of preparations for positronemission tomography (PET) with high-energy sources of (D,T)-neutrons; and (iii) studying applicability of 16O(p, α)13N and 12C(p, γ)13N, 13C(p, n)13N reactions with the formation of the β+-radioactive isotope 13N to determine actual distribution of absorbed doses in the patient body or in the phantom thereof based on the annihilation radiation after a session of neutron therapy with the 14 MeV neutron source or after a proton therapy session.
cross-sections of 16O(p, α)13N and 12C(p, γ)13N, 13C(p, n)13N reactions, 14 MeV neutrons generator, recoil protons, neutron activation analysis
1. Barit I.Ya., Kuzmin L.E., et.al. Ispolzovanie neitronov s energiei 13.5 MeV dlya opredeleniya belka v zernovykh kulturakh [Usage of 13.5 MeV neutrons for determination of protein in cereal crops]. Atomnaya energiya – Atomic Energy, 1988, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 217.
2. Kitwanga S., Levenx P. et al. Production of 13N radioactive nuclei from 13C(p, n)13N or 16O(p, α)13N reaction. Physical Review C, 1989, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 35.
3. Hall R.N., Towler W.A. The Cross Section for the Radioactive Capture of Protons by 12C near 100 keV. Physical Review, 1950, vol. 77, pp. 197.
4. Kikoin I.K. Tablitsy fizicheskikh velichin. Spravochnik [Tables of physical quantities. Handbook]. Moscow, Atomizdat Publ., 1976.
5. Grigoriev I.S., Meilikhov E.Z. Fizicheskie velichiny.Spravochnik [Physical quantities. Handbook]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ., 1991.