Authors & Affiliations
Petersburg Nuclear Physics Institute named by B.P. Konstantinov of National Research Centre “Kurchatov Institute”, Gatchina, Russia
Chernukhin Yu.I. – Senior Researcher, Dr. Sci. (Phys. and Math.).
Kostenko I.I. – Head of Group.
The production of einsteinium and berklium isotopes at reactor PIK is considered. Presently the design of the reactor core for reactor operation after full power startup is under consideration. The additional places for isotopes production in the reactor core can be organized besides the central experimental channel. The irradiation conditions in the central water trap and in the core are comparing. For this purpose we are comparing calculated here the neutron spectrums, neutron fluxes and cross sections of the main reactions which are influence on the isotope production. We maid the approximation of the averaged over reactor spectrums neutron reaction cross sections using thermal cross sections, resonance integral and Westcott factors. For the realistic isotope targets we have calculated the amound of produced einsteinium and berclium. Also we compare the accumulation speed of these two elements in the central water trap and in the reactor core. We have made the verification of the MCNP code calculations of the isotope production using analitic calculations and code SCALE. We have demonstrated that for targets with initial isotopes placed in the core the amount of produced einsteinium and berclium can be 4-5 times greater then for targets placed in the central experimental channel. However the time for isotope production in the core can be about two times longer. We are discussing also the main ambiguities in the reaction cross section which influences on the amount of the produced einsteinium in the target. The main ambiguity in the calculations of the produced amount of rather long-lived isotope Es-254 is introduced the neutron reaction cross sections of Es-253 nuclei espessially the isomeric ratio of the reaction of the neutron radiation capture.
einsteinium, berclium, high flux reactor, isotope production, isomeric ratio, neutron spectrum, irradiation ampoules, radiation capture cross section, fission cross section, resonance integral
1. Reactor PIK. Proekti nauchnih issledovaniy, experimentalnih ustanovok I oborudovaniya [The PIC reactor. Projects of scientific research, experimental installations and equipment]. Volume №1. Gatchina, PNPI Publ., 2001.
2. Harbour R.M., Macmurdo K.W. Thermal-Neutron Capture Cross-Sections and Capture Resonance Integrals of 253Es. Journal of Inorganic and Nuclear Chemistry, 1973, no. 35, pp. 1821.
3. Zagrebaev V.I., Karpov A.V., Greiner W. Possibilities for synthesis of new isotopes of superheavy elements in fusion reactions. Physical Review, 2012, no. C85, pp. 014608.
4. Kovalchuk M.V., Aksenov V.L., Erikalov A.N., Zakharov A.S., Konoplev K.A., Kosolapov I.M., Onegin M.S., Poltavsky A.S., Smolsky S.L., Fridman S.R. Kontseptsiya ekspluatatsionnogo komplekta TVS reaktora PIK [The Concept of the Exploitation Set of the Fuel Assemblies of the Reactor PIK]. Trudy 3 mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-tekhnicheskoy konferentsii “Innovatsionnye proekty i tekhnologii yadernoy energetiki” [Proc. 3th Int. Sci. and Techn. Conf. “Innovacionnie proekti I technologii yadernoy energetiki”]. Moscow, 2014, vol. 1, pp. 339—347.
5. Starkov V.A. Nauchno metodicheskoe obosnovanie modernizacii aktivnoiy zoni reactor SM. Diss. doc. techn. sci. [Scientific and methodological substantiation of the modernization of the core of the SM reactor. Dr. techn. sci. diss.]. Dimitrovgrad, 2015.
6. Peplow D.E. A Computational Model of the High Flux Isotope Reactor for the Calculation of Cold Source, Beam Tube, and Guid Hall Nuclear Parameters. Report ORNL, 2004, no. TM-2004/237.
7. MCNP6TM User’s Manual. Version 1. Report Los Alamos, 2013, no. LA-CP-13-00634.
8. Pritychenko B., Mubhabghad S.F. Neutron Thermal Cross Sections, Westcott Factors, resonance Integrals, Maxwellian Averaged Cross Sections and Astrofisical Reaction Rates Calculated from the ENDF/B-VII.1, JEFF-3.1.2, JENDL-4.0, ROSFOND-2010, CENDL-3.1 and EAF-2010 Evaluated Data Libraries. ArXiv: 1208.2879v3 [astro-ph.SR]. 2013.
9. Mughabghab S.F. Atlas of Neutron Resonances.Resonance Parameters and Neutron Cross Sections. Z=1-100. Amsterdam, Netherlands, Elsevier Publ., 2006.
10. Dyakonov V.P. Mathematika 4. Uchebniy kurs [Mathematica 4. Training course]. St. Petersburg, "PETER" Publ., 2001.
11. Rearden B.T., Jessee M.A. SCALE Code System. Version 6.2. ORNL/TM-2005/39. 2016.
12. Anufriev V.A., Gavrilov V.D., Zamyatnin Yu.S., Ivanenko V.V. Effective Neutron Absorbtion Cross Sections For Califormium, Einsteinium, and Fermium in the Central Channel of the SM-2 Reactor. Atomic Energy, 1974, no. 36, pp. 286.