Authors & Affiliations
Lapin A.S., Bobryashov A.S., Blandinsky V.Y., Bobrov E.A.
National Research Center “Kurchatov institute”, Moscow, Russia
Bobryashov A.S. – Technician.
Blandinskiy V.Y. – Scientific Secretary of the Kurchatov Complex of Advanced Nuclear Energy, Cand. Sci. (Techn.).
Bobrov E.A. – Head of the Laboratory of Fuel Cycles and Transmutation, Cand. Sci. (Techn.).
Nowadays nuclear energy operates in an open fuel cycle. One of the most important directions in the development of nuclear energy is the closure of the nuclear fuel cycle. The solution to this problem is possible with the use of fast neutron reactors. To achieve this goal, the possibility of using a reactor with a fast-resonance neutron spectrum cooled by supercritical water (SCWR) was considered. The SCWR reactor can be effectively used in a closed nuclear fuel cycle, since it makes it possible to use spent fuel and dump uranium with a small amount of plutonium added.
The layout options of the core with a change in the size of the core and reproduction zones are considered. The possibility of placing reproduction zones from various materials inside the active zone was evaluated. Based on the studies, an acceptable version of the core is selected in terms of system characteristics. For the considered arrangement of the reactor core, the possibility of shorting the uranium-plutonium and uranium-thorium fuel cycles has been investigated. The system characteristics of the reactor installation were studied for the following fuel load options:
1. Loading MOX fuel into the core, depleted uranium in the lateral zone of reproduction.
2. Loading of uranium-thorium fuel into the core and side screens.
The results of the assessments of the system characteristics of the reactor are considered in the article.
supercritical coolant, neutron physics, closed fuel cycle, system characteristics, nuclear fuel burnout, uranium-thorium fuel, reproduction coefficient
1. Workshop on Advanced Nuclear Reactor Safety Issues and Research Needs. Proc. NEA/OECD Workshop. Paris, France, 2002.
2. Voznesenskiy V.A., Levina I.K., Dukhovenskiy A.S., Silin V.A. Energeticheskiy reaktor VVER-1000 SKD povyshennoy bezopasnosti [SCWR VVER-1000 high security]. Moscow, I.V. Kurchatov IAE Publ., 1989. Pp. 52–79.
3. Orlov V.V., Slesarev I.S., Kalafati D.D., Grishanin E.I., Zverkov Yu.A., Subbotin S.A., Shchepetina T.D., Kuznetsov V.V., Sedov A.A., Stukalov V.A., Fal'kovskiy L.N., Fomichenko P.A. Atomnaya stantsiya s parovodookhlazhdaemym energeticheskim reaktorom povyshennoy bezopasnosti [Nuclear power plant with steam-cooled energy reactor of increased safety]. Teploenergetika – Thermal Engineering, 1990, no. 8, pp. 27–31.
4. Alekseev P.N., Sedov A.A., Subbotin S.A., Chibinyaev A.V., Semchenkov Yu.M. Perspektivy i problemy ispol'zovaniya v reaktorakh legkovodnogo teplonositelya sverkhkriticheskogo davleniya dlya povysheniya effektivnosti yadernogo toplivnogo tsikla [Perspective and problems of application of light water supercritical coolant in reactors for upgrading efficiency of the nuclear fuel cycle]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov – Problems of atomic science and technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors , 2010, no. 1, pp. 3–12.
5. Chibinyaev A.V., Alekseev P.N., Teplov P.S., Frolova M.V. Neytronno-fizicheskie kharakteristiki dvukhkonturnogo energeticheskogo reaktora s zakriticheskimi parametrami para [Neutron Physics Characteristics of the TwoCircuit Power Reactor with Critical Steam Parameters]. Trudy 7 Mezhd. nauchno-tekhn. konf. “Obespechenie bezopasnosti AES s VVER” [Proc. 7th Int. Sci. and Tech. Conf. “Ensuring the Safety of NPPs with WWER”]. Podolsk, 2011, pp. 36–37.
6. MCNP – A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code, Version 5. X-5 Monte Carlo Team. Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-UR-03-1987, 2003.
7. Alekseevskiy L.D. Poisk vozmozhnoy struktury statsionarnoy sistemy budushchey yadernoy energetiki s zamknutym yadernym toplivnym tsiklom na osnove issledovaniya nuklidnykh balansov [Search for a possible structure of a stationary system of the future nuclear energy with a closed nuclear fuel cycle based on the study of nuclide balances]. Voprosy atomnoy nauki i tekhniki. Seriya: Fizika yadernykh reaktorov – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Physics of Nuclear Reactors, 2008, no. 2, pp. 21–26.
8. NJOY99.0 Code System For Producing Pointwise And Multigroup Neutron And Photon Cross Sections From ENDF/B Data. RSICC Peripheral Shielding Routine Collection. Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Documentation for PSR-480/NJOY99.0 Code Package, 2000.