Authors & Affiliations
Alimov Yu.V., Galeyeva N.M., Zhirnov A.P., Kuznetsov P.B., Rozhdestvenskiy I.M.
N.A. Dollezhal Research and Development Institute of Power Engineering, Moscow, Russia
Alimov Y.V. – Senior Researcher.
Zhirnov A.P. – Deputy Head of Department.
Davidov V.K. – Senior Researcher.
Kuznetsov P.B. – Senior Researcher.
Rozhdestvenskiy I.M. – Leading Engineer.
The RBMK-1000 reactor operates in a continuous refueling mode. The reactor core comprises FAs across the burn-up spectrum, from fresh fuel assemblies to the most burnt-up ones. Following the reactor shutdown for decommissioning, the majority of irradiated fuel assemblies (IFA) have the potential for further use (the so-called afterburning) at operating NPP units. Most of the irradiated fuel assemblies have a burn-up fraction, which is far from the specified threshold value. The neutron multiplication factor in the cell exceeds the core average value and, therefore, the IFA loading makes it possible to increase the reactivity margin to the desired value. Reuse of spent fuel assemblies in reactors at other power units offers a number of advantages. In economic terms, afterburning is able to reduce the use of fresh fuel assemblies (FFA). In terms of radioactive waste handling, afterburning is able to reduce the number of irradiated fuel assemblies, which require long-time storage in a spent nuclear fuel repository thus reducing the IFA and radioactive waste disposal loads. JSC NIKIET has proposed the use of irradiated fuel assemblies from units 1 and 2 of Leningrad NPP shut down after decommissioning in reactors at units 3 and 4 of the same NPP.
RBMK-1000 reactor, extended service life, irradiated FA, fresh FA, fuel consumption rate, SADCO code, MCU-RBMK code, fresh fuel economy, life, fuel burn-up
1. SADCO (versiya 10.1) [SADCO (version 10.1)]. Attestation certificate of software tool no. 436. Moscow, 2018.
2. MCU-RBMK s bankom dannyh MDB650 (s kanalom podgotovki iskhodnyh dannyh GENIFER) [MCURBMK with MDB650 data bank (with GENIFER raw data preparation channel)]. Attestation passport of software tool no. 431. Moscow, 2018.
3. Alimov Yu.V., Galeyeva N.M., Davydov V.K., Zhirnov A.P., Kuznetsov P.B., Rozhdestvenskiy I.M., Rozhdestvenskiy M.I. Verifikatsiya i attestatsiya PK SADCO (versiya 10.1) dlia raschetov NFH RBMK1000 so shtatnoy i otremontirovannoy grafitovoy kladkoy [Verification and certification of SADCO PC (version 10.1) for calculations of NFH RBMK-1000 with standard and repaired graphite masonry]. Moscow, JSC “NIKIET” Publ., 2019. Pp. 112.
4. Ivanuta A.N., Ionov A.I., Kuznetsov P.B., Rozhdestvenskiy M.I., Saharova T.Yu. Verifikatsiya i podgotovka k attestatsii programmnogo modulya GDP v sostave PK SADCO [Verification and preparation for certification of the GDP software module as part of the SADCO PC]. Moscow, JSC “NIKIET” Publ., 2017. Pp. 132.
5. Alimov Yu.V., Davydov V.K., Zhirnov A.P., Kuznetsov P.B., Rozhdestvenskiy I.M., Rozhdestvenskiy M.I. Verifikatsiya i attestatsiya programmnogo sredstva MCU-RBMK s kanalom podgotovki GENIFER [Verification and attestation of MCU-RBMK software tool with GENIFER preparation channel]. Moscow, JSC “NIKIET” Publ., 2018. Pp. 92.
6. Alimov Yu.V., Davydov V.K., Zhirnov A.P., Rozhdestvenskiy I.M. Razvitie programmy GENIFER dlia avtomatizatsii pretsizionnyh raschetov reaktorov RBMK [Development of the GENIFER program for automating precision calculations for RBMK reactors]. Trudy XV seminara po problemam fiziki reaktorov “Volga-2008” [Proc. XV Seminar on the Problems of Physics of Reactors “Volga-2008”]. Moscow, 2008, pp. 38.