Authors & Affiliations
Gonchar N.I.1, Mоrkin M.S.2
1 A.I. Leypunsky Institute for Physics and Power Engineering, Obninsk, Russia
2 N.A. Dollezhal Research and Development Institute of Power Engineering, Moscow, Russia
Morkin M.S. – Lead Design Engineer, N.A. Dollezhhal Research and Development Institute of Power Engineering.
Gas-lift probe is an element of cladding failure detection system of perspective lead cooled reactor. Its function is local measurement of gaseous fission product activity in the coolant and the most defected fuel assembly localization. In the coolant leaving the defected fuel assembly the specific activity of gaseous fission products is higher than the average one in the primary circuit. In the barbotage channel of gas-lift probe gaseous fission products diffuse through the bubble interface surface into the volume of the bubbles. The bubbles deliver gaseous fission product to interface surface in the separation volume. The gas enriched with radioactive gaseous fission product goes to measurement volume of the probe. The more significant the damage and the closer the defective fuel assembly is located to the probe input, the more gaseous fission product activity will be registered. The paper presents a model of gaseous activity transfer from cladding defect to probe measuring volume. The gaseous activity transfer is described on the basis of the inert gases dissolution/degassing processes in lead. The gas-lift probe sensitivity was estimated as the ratio of the entry velocity of gaseous activity into the measurement volume to the exit one into the coolant through fuel assemblies cladding defects. A gas-lift probe sensitivity for exposed fuel surface calculated as an example. Gaseous fission products with significant gamma radiation are considered. The calculation results are presented in the article.
liquid metal coolant, cladding failure detection system, gaseous fission product, gas-lift probe, gaseosus activity transfer, solution/degassing model, exposed fuel surface, sensitivity evaluation
1. Lemekhov V.V., Morkin M.S., Yarmolenko O.A., Lemekhov V.V., Morkin M.S., Yarmolenko O.A. Ustroystvo dlya obnaruzheniya defektnykh TVS yadernogo reaktora s zhidkometallicheskim teplonositelem [A device for detecting defective fuel assemblies of a nuclear reactor with a liquid metal coolant]. Patent RU, no. 2594179C1 G21C17/04, G21C3/32, 2016.
2. Morkin M.S., Solov'ev V.N., Yarmolenko O.A. Issledovanie vremeni dostavki ksenona gazliftovym zondom sistemy KGO RU BREST-OD-300 [Study of the delivery time of xenon by the gas-lift probe of the KGO RU BREST-OD-300 system]. Moscow, NIKIET Publ., 2019. Pp. 25–28.
3. Lavrenov R.N., Lemekhov Yu.V., Morkin M.S., Solov'ev V.N., Yarmolenko O.A. Ispytaniya gazliftnogo zonda sistemy KGO RU BREST-OD-300 v srede svintsovogo teplonositelya [Tests of the gas-lift probe of the KGO RU BREST-OD-300 system in a lead coolant medium]. Moscow, NIKIET Publ., 2018. Pp. 118–119.
4. Levich V.G. Fiziko-khimicheskaya gidrodinamika [Physicochemical hydrodynamics]. Moscow, Gosudarstvennoe izdatel'stvo fiziko-matematicheskoy literatury Publ., 1959. Pp. 439–468.
5. Grigor'ev I.S., Meylikhov E.Z. Fizicheskie velichiny. Spravochnik [Physical quantities. Handbook]. Moscow, Energoatomizdat Publ, 1991. 1230 p.
6. Vereshchagina T.N., Lemekhov V.V., Morkin M.S. Gidravlika gazliftnogo zonda so svintsovym teplonositelem [Lead coolant hydraulics in gaslifting sonde]. Voprosy Atomnoy Nauki i Tekhniki. Seriya: Yaderno-reaktornye konstanty – Problems of Atomic Science and Technology. Series: Nuclear and Reactor Constants, 2021, vol. 1, pp. 124–134.